Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I took a deep breath then went down the kitchen counter and walked back to the living room. Axel followed me.

We both sat on the couch, side by side but looking straight ahead. I can't look at him now or I'll forget everything that's wrong with this and kiss him again.

I stood and paced back and forth across the living room. What was I thinking? Kissing him like that. I must be out of my mind. He had other girls' tongues shoved down his throat not more than 24 hours ago. God.

I was just taken by the moment, just a moment of weakness. That's it. Just a moment of weakness.

Great, I can't even convince myself.

"So..." he started and I stopped pacing.

I took one look at him and shook my head slightly. I can't take any of this anymore. I need answers. "How exactly did we meet?"

"Oh." he looked at me with eyes wide.

"Yeah," I said nodding my head to myself. "You must know that the last thing I remember of you last night was seeing you at Corrigan's."

His brows raised, "You saw me at Corrigan's?"

"Yeah, you were at the bar then you went to a booth to meet 3 girls and started making out with them."

He winced. "I know how that must look but, in my defense, it was just 2 girls."

I frowned at him, "That's not really helping your case but whatever. You don't have to explain anything to me about your lifestyle. I just want to know what happened last night."

He looked at the floor. Are my eyes deceiving me? Is Axel James really embarrassed?

I continued, "Because I really don't remember talking to you – heck, I don't even remember seeing you at Crosshair. And, for clarification, all events subsequent to that."

"Okay. Well..." he met my eyes then sighed. He scratched his right eyebrow, "I'm not proud of this, thinking about it now."

He continued, "You were by the bar and you were alone."

I nod as he tells the story.

"I thought you were pretty hot." he shook his head immediately, "Think." he corrected himself.

I cringed inwardly, "Yeah, not helping."

He shrugged, "I'm just being honest." he scratched the back of his head, "You know what, this is a pretty long story. How about we talk about this over coffee? I saw a pretty nice coffee shop down the block."

I scoffed at him, "Nice try, Axel. But I'm not going out with you. Continue with the story. Keep it short."

He held on his chest, as if in pain. I rolled my eyes at him. So dramatic.

"Alright, I gave it a shot. Anyway, you were at the bar, having tequila shots by yourself." he smiled to himself, "I was ordering something from the bar and you called me an asshole."

My eyes grew big at that statement. I called him an asshole. Huh, good to know I'm still my brilliant self even when I'm drunk. I'd high-five my past self if I could.

I continued listening to him, "Of course, I wasn't used to being called an asshole so I sat next to you and asked if you were referring to me. You said yes, obviously. And I was like 'Do you know who I am? I'm Axel James.' and you were all 'Yeah and that makes you a bigger asshole.' No one has ever called me out like that." he explained and suddenly I remember parts of it.