Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I ran as fast as I could to keep up with him. His legs were longer than mine and it also didn't help that the ground's getting muddier by the second.

"The apples!" he said as we passed by our basket near the pumpkins.

"Leave it."

We kept on running until we reached the beginning of the apple picking area.

The hayride was already moving.

"Wait!" we both shouted as we ran faster.

The hayride stopped and we jogged to it. We were both panting, catching our breaths as the operator handed us an umbrella. I reached for it then opened it as we walked towards the last cart.

We sat next to each other as the hayride drove us back.

"Did you see where they went?" I asked in a low voice.

"Huh?"

"The paparazzi." I clarified. "Did you see where they went?"

"Oh. I don't know." his chest still heaving up and down. "Keep your head down. They might still be around."

"Okay then, hold the umbrella," I said as I passed the umbrella to him then looked at the ground.

We stayed silent for the whole ride back to the entrance area, not wanting to catch any more attention.

We placed the umbrellas on their racks near the entrance when we arrived at the shed.

The rain turned into a full-on storm. The sharp lines of lightning and the loud roars of thunder were enough to make the little kids cry. Heck, it's enough to make me more scared than I should be. We were told to weather it out first before leaving but Axel and I were worried about the paparazzi.

"What do you think?" Axel asked.

I shook my head. "I say let's make a run for it."

His eyebrows raised in surprise. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I mean what's the point? We're already soaking."

He nodded then grabbed his coat from his left arm. He placed it over our heads again.

He looked at me, "1... 2..." I nodded.

"3!" then we ran towards the parking area.

It's a lot harder to run now that the ground is mostly mud. My poor shoes.

He fished for his keycard in his right pocket as we reached the car. Wow, we're really about to track mud inside a Tesla.

He pressed the keycard on the passenger door's handle.

"I'll close it," I said as he still covered me with his coat as I get in. He nodded then went to the driver's door.

His breaths came in shallow pants as he got inside the car. He laughed, slapping the steering wheel.

I laughed with him. "Some date, huh?"

He shook his head, "I'm so sorry."

"No, it's okay. I got the full Axel James experience." I joked as I removed his camera from my neck, handing it over to him.

"Not even close." he let out a soft laugh as he placed the camera at the backseat.

"Come on, let's get out of here," he said then pulled out of the parking lot.

The rain was pouring like crazy, we had to slow down because it's almost zero-visibility. It's dark now and we've reached the highway but I doubt we'll get home in two hours with the traffic.