Chapter 52

Chapter 52

We parked just outside of the orphanage. To my surprise, the event wasn't public - no banners, no cameras; it looks like a very usual day for the orphanage outside.

Someone knocked on Axel's side of the car to which he rolled the window down.

"Axel, come on, what are you idling about? Your mom kept asking me where you were."

"Wait your mom?" I asked.

The man outside guffawed, "Whoa-oh, who do we have here?" He angled his head so he could see me. "Lauren?"

"You know me?"

Axel cleared his throat, "Lauren this is Peter, Peter this is Lauren."

"Of course, I know you. I'm his manager; it's my business to know who he's seen with by the paparazzi."

"Oh, you could blame him for that one."

"O-kay," Axel held out his hands. "Let's not?"

I waved my hand to dismiss.

"Alright, well, come on, you two, they're waiting for us."

"Mm-hm," Axel nodded. "You go ahead, we'll be right behind you."

"Alright, but if I don't see you inside in five minutes..."

"I know, I know."

"I'll come back."

"Okay, yeah, go." He rolled the windows up and faced me. "Well, let's go?"

"No."

"What? We talked about this."

"Yeah, but I didn't know your mom is here."

"So? It's not like she's the queen or the president or something. Come on."

"No."

He breathed deeply then went out of the car.

Well, that was easy.

My side of the car door opened.

"What are you doing?"

"Remove your seatbelt."

"No, I won't go inside. I'll stay here."

"You wouldn't breathe inside the car."

"There are windows! Plus I can wait outside."

"In this cold?"

"It's not that cold," I said just as the wind picked up. Nice timing, mother nature. "I'll just stay here. I can roll up the windows."

"Again, you can't breathe."

"Nah-uh. You can't trick me. I saw that this car has a leave-your-dog-inside-the-car feature."

"You're not a dog."

"At this moment, being a dog doesn't sound so bad."

His lips curled, patience wearing thin. He ducked and entered the car.

"Whoa, what are you doing?"

He looked at me, our faces dangerously close, "I'm just removing your seatbelt." His hand hold onto the already unfastened lock. "Don't get any ideas."

He grabbed my hand to drag me out but I kept my stance.

"No."

"Come on, please. It isn't so bad inside."

"I'm not ready to meet your mom, okay?"

"She's not so bad, come on."

"Axel, what's taking you so long?" A woman's voice called.