Vanishing Amy

Scarlett Johnson

      "Thank you guys for coming in, come back soon!"

Amy called to us as we all headed for the front doors of the restaurant.

Noah and I drifted back away from our parents, all he wanted to do was hold my hand, I thought it was the sweetest thing.

Our parents had somehow managed to get out of the restaurant doors way ahead of us, and we suddenly heard footsteps behind us.

"Hey, I just wanted to tell the two of you that you make a cute couple!"

Amy told us, Noah's eyes widened and he had dropped my hand, my heart had stopped beating.

"Oh, no we aren't... uhh, we aren't a thing."

I stuttered out, Noah quickly spoke up.

"We are actually cousins."

Noah told her, he draped an arm across my shoulders and nervously grinned over at Amy, she didn't look like she bought it.

"Ya really close cousins..."

I added quietly, after a moment she smiled and started to turn around.

"Sorry about that... You two have a good night!"

She awkwardly spit out before she quickly vanished off to the kitchen.

Noah let out a sigh of relief once Amy was gone, I looked up at him to see a worried expression on his face.

"Come on."

I whispered, the two of us walked side by side out of the restaurant, both our hearts still racing.

Noah quickly spotted our parents and Maya hopping into the minivan, my Mom was waving the two of us over.

"Did you guys get lost?"

She asked once we were within earshot, Noah laughed, and I nervously grinned.

"Ya, it's a jungle in there."

Noah told her, I could hear Paxton laughing loudly in the front seat.

"Alright you two, get in its way past my bedtime."

My Mom spoke quietly after hopping into the passenger side door.

Noah and I quickly hopped into the backseat, and after getting buckled I felt Noah's hand land on my thigh.

It was pitch black in the car, so not even Maya would be able to see.

I watched out the window as our surroundings passed, my nerves eventually subsided and I enjoyed the tingling feeling that happened to be radiating up my leg from Noah's hand.