Spaced Out

Scarlett Johnson

        "Honestly I'm kind of glad Noah didn't ask me out again."

Adara told me as we both stood in front of my locker, once I closed it I turned to face her.

"Why, I thought you liked him?"

I asked her, Adara shook her head and leaned her shoulder up against the locker beside mine.

"I said he was hot, I never said I liked him."

Adara told her quietly, her cheeks began to turn dark red.

"Then what's the reason?"

I asked quietly, she smiled and glanced over her shoulder.

"Because he totally has a secret girlfriend or something."

She spoke in almost a whisper, I tried to keep my cool and act casual.

"What makes you think that?"

I asked a little interested in what she thought, Adara grinned.

"I can just tell, he's got this glow or something. I've known him my entire life and he's never acted the way he has been."

Adara said with her focus on something behind me, I glanced over to see Noah walking down the hall with Kaden and his other friend Matt at his side.

Noah's eyes landed on me seconds later, the smile on his face only grew wider.

"Well I'm gonna go, tell them I headed for the library."

Adara told me before she disappeared, I knew she was actually just avoiding Noah and any awkward situations.

"Hey Scarlett, how goes it?"

  Matt asked happily, I smiled over at him, and Noah's eyes stayed intently on me, I couldn't bring myself to look at him without turning pink.

"I'm good! How does food sound?"

I asked them and they all agreed, guys were such pigs.

     As we walked to the cafeteria Matt slowed his pace to match mine.

Noah and Kaden were a few feet ahead when Matt grabbed my arm and stopped me, I turned to face him skeptically.

   "Ya Matt?"

I asked a little confused, he grinned over at me, for some reason he seemed nervous. 

   "I actually have been wanting to ask you something?"

He said confidently, I shrugged my shoulders and nodded for him to continue.

    "Would you want to maybe go out with me this Friday night?

He asked me, but I had totally lost all focus and watched Noah walk a little ways a head of us.

   "Scarlett, are you okay?"

I heard Matt ask, his hand was then on my shoulder, my eyes quickly met his.

   "Ya I'm fine."

I told him quietly, I stayed silent and remembered he wanted to ask me something.

   "So do you?"

He asked, I gave him a confused look, but realized he had already asked me whatever it was.

   "Oh sorry, I kind of spaced out."

I told him as I tried to keep my embarrassment to a minimum.

   "Oh, it's fine."

He laughed out, his eyes were then on the ground.

  "Matt, umm... We should probably go get some food, we don't have that much time."

I told him after an awkward moment, he nodded and we both started for the lunchroom, my mind oblivious to the fact that Matt had asked me out and I practically turned him down in the matter of five seconds.