Sneaking Out

Scarlett Johnson

     "Scarlett? What are you doing?"

  I heard Maya ask from behind me as I lifted my legs through my bedroom window.

  I quickly snapped my head in her direction to see her closing the door lightly behind her.

    "Out..."

  I told her calmly, she gave me the "I already know look."

    "You're going back to LA, aren't you?"

  Maya asked with her eyebrows raised and her arms folded over her chest.

    "Fine, you caught me. Are you going to tell?"

  I asked quietly, she shook her head and slowly approached me, she picked my bag up off the floor and handed it over to me.

    "I'll try to stall for as long as I can, but that'll only work if you don't fall off the roof."

  She told me with a grin, I smiled widely and took the bag from her.

   "Thanks little sis."

  I told her quietly, she nodded and glanced over her shoulder.

   "When will you be coming back?"

  She asked, she began to shyly play with her hands in front of her.

    "I honestly am not sure, but I promise to call you once I get there."

  I told her quietly, she nodded and I pulled her in for a short hug.

   "Thank you."

  I whispered before I pulled the window shut, I waved one last goodbye and stood carefully on the roof.

    I walked to the edge to where the garbage cans were directly below me

  I threw my bag down hoping my phone would be alright, and after a second I gathered enough courage.

   I swung my legs over the edge and lowered myself with my arms until my feet were less then a foot away from the top of one of the garbage cans.

     Suddenly a dog barked off in the distance somewhere and caused my hands to slip off the gutter of the roof.

  I loudly fell to the cement and hit my temple on the side of one of the garbage cans as I went barreling down.

    A little out of it, I quickly picked up my bag and booked it for my car in front of the house.

    "Scarlett!!! Where are you going!"

   I heard Paxton call from the front door moments later, without looking back I chucked my bag into the passenger side seat and climbed in after it.

    I started up the jeeps engine and slammed down on the gas, I flew down the street and glanced in the rear view mirror to see my Mom and Paxton standing in the middle of the street, watching as I slowly disappeared.