Needing Space

Scarlett Johnson

"Scarlett, Noah!!! Oh my god you're okay!"

  My Mom yelled once we had entered the house, Noah closed the door quietly behind him.

  The first thing I noticed as my Moms arms wrapped around me, was the bags on the floor beside the door.

  Once she pulled away she grabbed Noah and pulled him in for a hug as well.

"You're not mad?"

  I asked quietly, my Moms eyes were full of light, and her smile never faded.

"I'm just glad you two are okay."

  She whispered, she stroked my cheek with the back of her hand and smiled lightly.

"Where's my Dad going?"

   Noah asked as he gestured towards the bags on the floor, my Mom sighed and a frown formed across her lips.

"We need space."

   Paxton said from behind my Mom, he had pulled his coat over his shoulders and began picking up his bags.

"Wait what?"

  Noah questioned, my Mom forced a smile, but I could see that she was hurting.

"Things haven't been well around here for the time you two were gone."

   My Mom told us, I shook my head.

  My Mom and Paxton were having problems bad enough that Paxton was leaving.

"Dad I'll come with you."

   Noah told him, Paxton stopped him and pulled the front door open.

"I'll be back son. Soon, we'll talk."

  Paxton told Noah before he closed the door behind him.

  We both turned to face my Mom again, she smiled lightly and disappeared into the living room.

"I feel like they should've lectured us by now."

  Noah whispered at my side, I turned my head over to look at him.

"This is really bad, isn't it?"

  I asked him, he nodded and entwined our fingers together.

"The only good thing about this whole ordeal is that we didn't even miss school."

  He suddenly said out of nowhere, I let go of his hand and turned my body towards his, a confused look on my face.

"Christmas break started when we left."

  He told me with a laugh, my heart skipped a beat, I suddenly remembered that Christmas was literally in three days.

Why did the world happen to hate my Mom at the moment, Merry Christmas, here's the divorce papers!

Noah placed a hand on my cheek interrupting my thoughts, I snapped out of it and met his gaze.

"Everything's okay."

  He whispered, I nodded and faked a smile.