Adelaide Street

Scarlett Johnson

"How was your day?"

  I asked Noah as we both walked on the pathway off school property, Noah grinned over at me and placed his hands in his jacket pockets.

    "Fine, how was yours?"

  He asked, I smiled at the sidewalk below us and nudged his shoulder gently.

  "Fine..."

I responded the same, he laughed and nudged me back.

     After a few quiet moments of walking, Noab started to push me off the sidewalk onto the grass.

   "What are you doing?"

   I asked him as I laughed and tried to keep my balance.

   "I have an idea..."

   He whispered mysteriously, before I knew it he had shoved me into brush taller then me, and I braced myself for some sort of impact, but the brush cushioned my fall.

     "Noah!"

   I squealed as he landed on top of me, I giggled and squirmed as he tickled all around, with him laughing quietly in my ear I tried to escape.

      He stopped tickling me, and he slowly leaned in, his lips brushed slowly up against mine for a few seconds before I pulled back.

   "Noah, as much as I would love to stay here and do this, I'm freezing!"

   I told him loudly, my teeth began to chatter loudly, which caused him to laugh even harder.

   He helped me up off the ground, and slowly slid my hand out of his, the warmth faded from my body almost instantly.

   We both hopped out of the brush when we were sure nobody was around to see, and we ended back up on the sidewalk towards home.

     "Scarlett!" Wait up you're walking too fast!"

  Noah called after me, I was frozen and not willingly to wait for Noah the slowest walker on the planet at the moment.

    "Hurry up Noah, it's so cold!"

   I called back, I could hear his footsteps growing louder behind me, but he was still pretty far behind when I glanced over my shoulder.

   I reached a stop sign a block away from our house, I didn't bother looking both ways and hurried on across the icy pavement.

   I was in the center of the street when suddenly I heard Noah scream behind me. 

   "Scarlett!!! Look out!!!"

He yelled, I quickly spun around to see a van speeding towards me, I had no time to react when suddenly I felt impact come from behind me.

   I was shoved off the road, and once I got up I studied my pale hands, my palms were cut and gushing blood.

   In the shock I was in, my mind blared out the sound of the car horn, and the crushing sound it made when it hit Noah's body at 50mph.