We Have A Tree House?

Scarlett Johnson

   "You okay?"

  I heard Maya ask from behind me, I glanced over my shoulder as I slid into my sweatshirt.

   "I'm fine."

  I replied back shortly, she didn't say anything back and continued into the kitchen for breakfast.

    Once my jandals were on, I made my way out the back door of the house and into the yard.

  Frost covered the shortened grass, and I could slightly see my breath in the cold air.

    I decided to venture around the backyard I had never stepped foot into.

  The sky above me was a musty grey giving everything a depressing look.

  It wasn't enough that my Mom had taken away my phone, the weather was even sad, but who was I kidding, Canada was a strange place.

      After a minute of just standing still in the center of the yard my eyes drifted around and landed on a tree about twenty five feet ahead of me at the edge of the yard.

  It wasn't just any kind of tree, a wooden staircase was attached to it facing me.

  I followed the stairs up with my eyes, and they landed upon a medium sized tree house.

     It looked to be freshly painted blue and white, my eyes widened at the sight.

   "When did we get a tree house?"

  I asked myself out loud, I shook my thoughts away, and quickly strode for the stairs intrigued to see what awaited me at the top.

    I climbed up the stairs step by step, my body frozen by the time I had reached the top.

  I climbed the last few steps and once to the top I studied my surroundings.

    Surprisingly there was a little deck that wrapped around the entire tree house, a railing along all the sides prevented anyone from falling off.

  I seemed to be twenty feet up in the air, and the floor boards creaked and groaned below my jandals.

      I turned to face the little white door, I slowly approached it and wrapped my hand around the doorknob.

  I pulled it open only for it to practically swing open itself, I peered in to see hardwood floor.

  It was completely empty except for one of Noah's old guitars, his black acoustic.

    The walls were painted a light brown to match the dark hardwood floors, I noticed a picture of his first and second album on the wall in a frame.

  It must be his studio in the making.

I thought to myself , he probably hadn't finished it yet, but why wouldn't he have told me about it?

     I slowly closed the door behind me and descended the stairs, a tree house, now I really wanted to talk to Noah.