Chapter 11

Chapter 11

    I rush through the intersection, counting down the blocks to Alissa’s house. I park the car in the drive way and see that no one else is home. I rush in the front door and call out to her. “Alissa! Alissa, baby, where are you?” I hear music coming from the upstairs bathroom. I sprint up the steps two, sometimes three, at a time until I’m on the second floor. “Alissa!?” I call out. No answer. I try to open the bathroom door but it’s locked. I kick the bottom of it and it doesn’t budge. Taking a few steps back first, I take a running start and lunge myself on the door. It comes open and I rush in to Alissa who is sitting in the bathtub. There’s an empty bottle of pills on the floor and she looks like she’s about to fall asleep. I force myself to think quickly. I dial my phone to 911 and pull her so she’s sitting upright in the bathtub. I force two fingers into her mouth. She coughs and gags and after a few seconds of holding my fingers in her throat, she vomits. I hear an ambulance siren outside the house and soon, there’s loud and heavy footsteps coming up the stairs.

    I start to cry when a man in a paramedic’s uniform pulls me out of the bathroom.

    He leads me downstairs. “Are you Molly Harrison?” He asks me. I nod my head. “We have word that there’s been an accident.”

    “Well obviously there’s been an accident! She almost died!” I yell at him.

    “No. No, that not what I meant. Joshua has been involved in an accident.”

    “Joshua?” I say and I realize now I’m panting. “What? Joshua? What do you mean he’s been involved in an accident?”

    “A car accident. He’s being transported to the hospital. I’ve been instructed to bring you there but I can’t guarantee you’ll be able to see him.”

    “Who told you to bring me there?”

    “Uhmm… A Mr. Daniel Kail. Is that name familiar?”

    “Oh, Daniel, yeah.”

    “Okay, good. Let’s get going.” He says. I follow him outside and he opens the back of his police cruiser for me. I sit back in the seat while he drives me to the hospital. I’ve stopped crying and I’m freezing my ass off. Both Daniel and Jason are waiting for me at the entrance of the hospital. I never wore a coat, and they notice that I’m shivering when I get out of the car; Jason hangs his around my shoulders for me.

    “He’s gonna be fine. But we aren’t allowed to see him until tomorrow.”

    I start to cry all over again and they both embrace me in a group hug. “Wait. What about Alissa?!”

    “Alissa? What about her.” Jason asks.

    “Who’s Alissa?” Daniel asks.

    “My best friend who just tried to kill herself.” I say bluntly and walk into the front doors of the hospital and to the front desk. I tell the woman her name and learn that she’s been checked in already but there’s no point in going to see her because she’s going to be asleep for quite a while.

    Jason tugs at my elbow. “Come on. Let’s go home.” He says. Daniel drives us back to Alissa’s house to get Josh’s car. Jason drives me home in it while Daniel goes back to his house.

    When Jason parks in the driveway, I don’t get out of the car. He gets out of the car and walks around it to my side. I open up the door and he reaches around me and unbuckles my seatbelt. He pulls me out of the car and walks me inside the house. When we’re inside I shut the door behind us. “You should get to bed. It’s been a long day.” He says and I agree. He walks me downstairs to the bedroom and waits for me while I change into a pair of Josh’s shorts and a t-shirt. I climb into bed on top of the blankets and he starts to say goodbye. He doesn’t get very far into his sentence before I interrupt him.