Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I can't see a clock or anything, so I don't know how long it takes to get there, but it doesn't feel like it took that long to get there.

When we do get there, Josh pulls at my scarf and it slides away from my eyes. I look out the front window and am faced with nothing. Literally.

Well, I mean there's some flat land, and it looks like we're on a gravel surface. Before I have time to say anything, Josh gets out of the truck. I watch him as he goes around the front of the truck and makes his way over to my door. He opens it up and I jump out. I turn to face the same way he is.

The first thing I see is the giant white screen. "Have you ever been to a drive in movie theater?" He asks me and walks to the tailgate of the truck.

"Yeah, there was one back home. Before we moved to Chicago, I mean." I say. "Have you?"

He shakes his head. I notice now that there's a plastic, roll up, cover that covers the bed of the truck from anything getting in. He pulls at the corner of it and then it easily rolls back, right up to the cab of the truck. Next, he pulls at the handle and then lays the tailgate down flat.

He hops up onto the bed of the truck and unties his shoes before taking them off and setting them in the corner of the truck bed. He waves me over to him. I walk over to him.

In the bed of the truck, it's covered in blankets and pillows. He pats the spot next to him and I climb up onto the tailgate next to him. "What's your favorite movie?" He asks with a smile on his face.

"You know my favorite movie."

"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, right?" He asks. I nod. "Well, I thought that would be too sad to watch on a date, so I picked something else." He says and lifts up the blankets. There's a mattress under four or five blankets and at the top of the 'bed' I can see a few pillows.

Under the blankets that he lifts up, there's a DVD case. "I figured that since you bought this for us to watch, we would watch it together." He says and holds up the movie Pitch Perfect.

I smile at him. "That sounds like a great idea."

"I thought you'd like it." He smiles and checks his watch. "Well, they aren't supposed to start it until eight thirty and it's eight fifteen right now, so we've got fifteen minutes to kill."

I smile at him and then get on my hands and knees and crawl to the top of the bed. I don't get very far before he grabs my feet and pulls them back so I'm laying on my stomach, and then twists my legs to roll me over.

He kisses my ankle and then slides my sandal off of my foot. He does the same thing to the other foot and then climbs into the bed next to me. "You look very pretty tonight." He says.

"And you look very handsome." I smile.

I tickle his cheek and he grabs onto my hand, pulling it away from his face. He's quiet for a moment. "Should we talk about this?" He asks and taps on my ring.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I mean, we can't just get engaged and then never get married. We have to talk about what we want to do."

"Okay. Fair enough."

"So..."

"I have just one thing to say."

He looks worried. "What's that?"

"I don't want to come forward and tell people until I've graduated."

He gives a relieved sigh. "Okay, whatever you want. But can I ask why?" He says and moves a strand hair away from my face.

I shrug my shoulders. "So I don't feel the need to focus on it that much."