Chapter 38

Chapter 38

I feel like I wake up in L.A. The only way I know I didn't is because Josh wakes me up several times during the night and I remember walking through the airport. But when I wake up for real, I'm in LosAngeles.

I follow Josh off the plane and to a car where we ride to our hotel. "How long are we going to be here?" I ask.

"Over night. We can go back home tomorrow. We're going to get back here pretty late." He says and sits down on the couch.

"When do we leave for the actual thing?"

"Whenever they come to get us. We need to be ready by five. Our clothes should be in the closet."

I walk over to the closet and pull the mirrored door open.

Inside, there's two sets of garment bags. I unzip the one that's Josh's and take the bag off. When I unzip mine, I see a long, silky, purple gown. Pleated at the waist with a sweetheart neckline and no straps.

"Who picks these out?" I ask Josh.

"I have no idea. Do you not like it?" He asks, standing up and walking over.

"I don't know. It looks okay, I just don't understand how they pick these out without seeing what they look like on first."

"They're pretty good at that stuff." He says, walking over and lying on the bed this time. He's got his phone in one hand and he's rubbing something between his thumb and his forefinger. I walk over and look. It's too small to see, so I grab his hand and hold it open. "What?" He asks, looking up at me.

"What do you have?" I ask.

He smiles and holds up the apple seed. "Are you sure it's this small?" He asks.

"That's what the doctor said."

He sits up and lifts up my shirt, holding the seed under my belly button. "It seems so impossible."

"That I can have a baby?"

"No, that something this small is even considered a living thing."

I smile. "Well, technically, we shouldn't consider it living just yet because you can't see any form of heart beat. We won't be able to for a few weeks."

"When is your first appointment?"

"December twenty sixth."

"Do I get to come with?"

"Well, you're the dad, I don't know who else would come with."

He smiles and kisses my stomach. "When will you be able to feel it?" He asks.

"I imagine not for a long time. But I'm not sure."

He sort of frowns at my stomach and then pulls my shirt back down. "Who do you want to tell first?"

"Our parents." I say, simply. "Although, I don't think they should know until after we're married."

He looks disappointed. "You're going to make me wait until then to tell someone?" He almost whines.

"It's only a week." I laugh.

"Can I just text Daniel? Or Jason. Or Cody. Why don't you call Cody and I'll call Daniel and Jason."

"Why don't we tell them in person?"

"They're men. Big, burly, men." He says. "And they're not the father. They wont care about that."

"You're not a big, burly, man?" I laugh.

"I'm the father."

I laugh only because he's making no sense. "Fine. Text them, then."