Chapter 36

Chapter 36

I stand outside the warehouse waiting for Josh to come get me. It's October 25 and it feels like the middle of December. I can feel the cold are in my bones, even through all my layers of clothes. When he finally shows up, I'm ready to start a fire in the back seat to keep warm. "Where were you at?" I ask, laying his jacket over my legs like a blanket.

"I was at Jason and Daniels'. They're setting up for the Halloween party tomorrow."

"Are we going to go to that?" I ask.

He shrugs his shoulders. "We can just go for a little while, if you want."

"We don't have any costumes." I tell him.

"It won't be that hard to come up with something. Let's go to the store and look." He says and even though I really just want to go home, we go anyway. Party City has been picked down to the bone.

We decide against superheros and a cowboy and a cowgirl. "It would be the easiest thing ever to be Katniss and Peeta if you still had your blonde hair." I tell him.

"Yeah, but my hair's not blonde and everyone already expects me to be him anyway." He says simply. "What about this?" He says, picking up a pair of dog ears.

"I'm not a dog and neither are you." I say, putting them back.

He looks again. "Then how about you be a cat," He says, putting a cat ear headband on my head, "And I'll be a mouse." He says and put mouse ears on his own head.

I smile because he looks incredibly cute in them. I nod my head. "Can we find a tail for me?"

"I don't see any." He says, looking.

"Okay. Is this all?"

"Yeah," He says, shrugging his shoulders. "We can just wear normal clothes with these."

"We're gonna be cute." I smile.

He nods his head and kisses my cheek lightly.

We pay for our things and then go home.

"I saw your dress today." He says when we're walking back out to the car.

"Oh, yeah? Did you like it?"

"I liked what I could see. It was hard to imagine what you would actually look like in it." 

"So you're still going to be surprised?"

"Unfortunately." He sighs.

I shrug my shoulders. "I guess you're just going to have to cry." I smile.

"Well, I probably will."

We don't really eat dinner. Josh eats leftover pizza while I eat yogurt and granola.

He's had a bit to drink. Enough to make him walk funny. He's 21 now so it's okay.

"Molly," He says from the top of the steps. I peer out of the living room at him. He's motioning for me to follow him. "Come to bed."

I glance at the clock. "It's not even eight yet." I tell him.

He puts his finger over his mouth to shush me. "You're ruining the moment," He whispers.

"There is no moment." I say, standing up. "I'm really not in the mood to do anything."

"I'll get you in the mood, then." He says, letting me go down the stairs first.

I sit on the bed and watch him. Slowly, he takes his shirt off. He pauses for a minute and looks at me. Then starts to dance.

He's a bad dancer on any day, but now that he's halfway drunk, it's even worse. But then he starts to undo his pants while he's doing his drunk dance and I can't even keep a straight face. So yeah, it worked. But not before I laughed for days.