Chapter 32

"I don't like it." Mom says.

"Why? She looks good." My friends Erin says back.

"It makes her chest look baggy and her stomach round." Answers Mom.

"I guess it could have less fabric up top."

"Well, I hate it." I say, stepping down from the platform and pull my dress up so I can walk.

I had imagined trying on dresses to be more of a lively experience, but with only Erin and my mother here, it's not so much fun. Josh's mom was supposed to come, but I don't think she'll show up.

The next dress isn't any better. Too puffy and to much like I'm supposed to be in a movie about carriages and glass slippers.

I want to feel like a princess, but I don't want to look like I just walked out of a fairy tale.

What would Josh say if he was here?

I ask myself this question as the lady who helps me unzips the dress.

Four gowns later, I sit in the large changing room with this strange woman. A red silk robe clinging to my dry skin.

"Miss Harrison. Molly. Tell me what you want."

I think about it for a moment.

A thousand different ideas run through my head, and I name some of my favorite.

"Strapless. Tight up top, loose at the bottom."

"White, right?" She asks.

I nod my head. "No ruffles. I'd rather vomit on ruffles than wear them."

She raises her eyebrows and nods her head. "Okay. What else? Like a ball gown?"

"Sort of. But I don't like how plain they are." I say.

"You sure are indecisive, aren't you?" She smirks.

I shake my head.

I know exactly what I want.

"Let me go take another look. I think I have something."

I wait about fifteen minutes before she gets back.

"I know you said you didn't like ruffles." She says. "I don't either. But these are a different kind of ruffle."

I nod my head and take off my robe once again.

She lets me turn around and look in the mirror.

I know exactly what I want.

And it's this one.

She was right when she said the ruffles weren't ruffles. It looks more like someone took the different layers of the dress and pinned it up towards the belt line. from my belly button up, it's tight, but not tight against my body. My arms are free to move and it only drags on the floor a little as I walk.

"Of course a train will be added." She says. I don't say anything. I don't feel the need to. She smiles with accomplishment. She knows that I like it. "Want to go show it off?" She asks.

I don't say anything once again. Just turn to walk out of the changing room.

The reaction from everyone outside is the same one from me.

Finally, Erin says: "Oh my gosh, Molly. You look amazing."

"Do you think Josh will like it?" I ask everyone in general.

"I think he'll love it." Mom says.

I smile and look at myself in the mirror I'm standing in front of.