Chapter 33

"So when's Josh coming home?" Cody asks as I sit down on his couch.

"Couple weeks." I say. He's still living in Josh's old house. You can't even tell that Courtney ever even lived here. Her things are in boxes in the basement and only Cody's things remain in the bathroom, or in the bedroom.

"Are you going to make it?" He asks with a smirk.

I nod my head. "I'll make it."

He hands my Lydia and the picks up some clothes off the floor. "Have you talked to him since he left?" He asks.

"He called me when he got there and we've been texting a little bit throughout the day." I tell him.

He nods his head on his way back to the bedroom.

Lydia is starting to get stronger. She can hold her head up on her own and if you support her, she can balance sitting and standing up, but she can't do it on her own.

"How old is she?" I ask Cody, walking back to his bedroom.

"What's the date today?" He asks. He's in the closet, putting clothes on hangers.

"August second."

He smiles a little. "She'll be two months old tomorrow."

I rub Lydias back and kiss her head. "Such a big girl."

Cody continues to smile and looks at me. "Would you mind watching her for a day or so?" He asks. "Alex is coming back for a while later today and I'd like to hang out with him."

I hardly remember Alex. I was never friends with him when I was friends with Cody. Alex graduated in the same class as us, but went into the Military a few weeks after. I haven't seen or heard from him since and I don't know if Cody has either, so I can't say no.

"What time?"

"He's coming over at five, I think. I'd like him to meet her, but I don't want to have to watch her the whole time. I mean, I haven't seen him in forever."

"Yeah. I understand. You can bring her over any time you'd like."

"Okay. I'll call when we're on our way over and I'll pack an over night bag."

I nod my head. "So what did you need me to come over for?" I ask.

"Oh!" He says like he forgot. "Courtney had a box with your stuff in it. I think it's from when she borrowed it."

I nod my head. "Okay. Where's it at?"

"In her closet," He says, pointing at Lydia.

We walk into Lydia's room and he opens the sliding door to her closet. In the back is a medium sized box. I don't look through it now. I decide to do that at home. I leave in about twenty minutes.

Back at home, the dog walks at my ankles upstairs to the loft. She sits by the stairs, like she always does when she's waiting for Josh. The cat sits by my feet and starts cleaning her paws. It looks like the box is full of clothes, but as soon as I start pulling them out, I see what else is in the box.

A pair of earrings, a couple dresses, a pair of shoes, her prom dress in a plastic bag with all the air pulled out of it. More shoes. More earrings. It goes on and on.

I sit there for a minute and try to figure it out, and when I do, I'm even more confused.

This box, other that the stuff that is mine that I let her borrow, is everything that I've ever bought her.

All the way down to a tube of red lip stick and a couple different bottles of nail polish.

I sit back for a while and stare at everything.