Chapter 37

Chapter 37

I wake up pretty early the next morning. At about 6:15 A.M. actually. It's light in the room now, and I can see everything that I couldn't see in just the light from a small lamp on the bedside table. His room is very plain. I look over at Josh. He's sleeping with a scowl on his face. I try to get back to sleep, but I can't.

I climb out of bed and make my way down the hall and downstairs. I find Daniel in the kitchen.

"Hey," He smiles when he sees me. I smile back and sit down at the table with him. "Why are you up so early?"

"I couldn't sleep."

He nods his head. "Are you hungry? What do you want to eat?" He says, standing up.

"I'm not hungry." I tell him. He opens the fridge and then sets an orange in front of me.

"Eat just that." He says.

"Why are you up so early?" I ask him.

"I couldn't sleep." He says. "How are you feeling?"

"What do you mean?" I ask. He looks at me expectantly. I know what he means. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure you're fine?"

"As fine as I can be."

He smiles. "Alright. We gotta teach you how to fight, though."

"I don't want to know how to fight."

"It would benefit you in some situations. Like last night, perhaps."

I smile at him. "I don't have very much muscle, I can't fight."

He looks at me for a second, then grabs the keys to his car. "Come on."

"Where are we going?" I say, standing up and following him.

"First, we're going to swing by your house so you can change out of my clothes and then we're going to the shooting range."

"The shooting range? Like for guns?"

"Yes, for guns. You can bring your bow, too."

"Have you ever shot a bow and arrow?" I ask Daniel as he follows me upstairs to the loft where they are.

"Not the kind you have," He says, matter-of-factly. "But I have."

"Shit. The key is downstairs." I say and turn around. He lets me scoot past him on the stairs and then run down to the bedroom. While I'm down there, I change into jeans and a T-shirt and wash the make-up from last night off my face. I grab the key and head back upstairs.

Daniel is standing in front of the display case that holds all of Josh's awards. I open my cabinet and take the black bow down from it's hook. I hang the quiver of arrows over my shoulder and shut the cabinet.

"Ready?" I ask.

"You know what's funny?" Daniel asks. He continues without an answer from me. "I've attended over half of these award shows and I've been friends with him for so long, but yet, I've never seen one of his movies."

"Why not?" I ask.

He shrugs his shoulders. "Just never have."

"Well, I'm marrying the guy and I've seen approximately three of them. Four when Catching Fire comes out."

Daniel laughs a little. "Let's go."

The shooting range that he brings me to isn't like the one I usually go to. That one has a playground outside for Christ's sake. They teach people how to use their weapons there.