Chapter 13 (Courtneys' P.O.V.)

Chapter 13. Courtney's P.O.V.

I give Alissa a quick goodbye and walk out of the restaurant, to my car. I take a minute to get myself together before I start my Dads' truck and leave. First thing's first, I have to get my overnight bag from home. When I get upstairs to my room, I check through it to make sure I'm not missing anything. So far, I have everything I think I would need and then some, but I have to grab a few other things. I hide them in my bag and then make my way back out to the truck. Now, I stop at the drug store. I pick up a much needed bottle of sleep aids. I already know I'm going to need them after this. And for good measure, I get a bottle of Diet Coke for Molly. I pay for everything and then leave the shop without a word. I take my time getting to Molly's house.

When I pull up in front of the house, I grab my bag from the back seat and hurry inside and out of the cold. When I finally get the key from the backyard and get inside, I flop down on the couch. I sit there for a minute thinking about what I'm really here for.

Sabotage.

Alissa really has changed. Molly had hinted at it, but I never really gave it much thought until now. When she asks me to sabotage one of my best friends. For money. Not just any amount either. Exactly enough to get out on my own, with a car, a decent apartment, and a life.

Thirty- thousand dollars worth of a life. 

I know that if I do this, I'm not going to be able to take it back, but if I don't, I'm out of the deal. So I have to do it.

I force myself off the couch and slowly and quietly, make my way downstairs, my overnight bag in hand. 

As I'm walking through the house, I realize that this is the first time I've ever had to really take it in. It's nice. Extraordinary, really. Molly keeps it very clean. Everything in its place. Before I go downstairs, I stop at the fridge and put the Diet Coke I bought for her in it with a sticky note attached to it saying 'Love Courtney.'

I turn away from the fridge to look at the staircase. I know if I don't go now, it'll only be harder to later, so I force myself to walk downstairs to their bedroom. 

I take my time looking through their bedroom. I look in her bedside table and then her dresser drawers. I only find the normal stuff, cough drops in her bedside table drawer along with her cherished books. I laugh when I see them carefully stacked in a small pile. She probably loves The Hunger Games just as much as she loves Josh. If not more. In her drawers, I find nothing surprising. Underwear, bras, some socks that seemed to have lost their match. I'm about to move on the the next drawer down when I realize that I'm probably looking in the wrong drawer, the wrong dresser, and the wrong persons belongings entirely. I carefully shut the drawers and make my way over to Josh's side of the bed. I open the drawer to his bedside table and find exactly what I'm looking for. Condoms.

I pick up the box and dump the contents onto the bed. There's only four left and I silently thank my friends for having sex more often than I assumed. The lesser the amount, the better. For some reason, I take another look in his drawer before I continue and my mood greatly drops when I find another box of them. I pick it up and open it up, dumping it out on the bed the same way, but I'm confused when another box falls out. It's a different box. I pick it up and examine it. It's a jewelry box. White, and about an inch and a half squared. I pull the top open and am surprised when I find a ring. I pull the ring out of the foam that hold it in the box, and a piece of paper attached to a string dangles from the bottom. It's a price tag. The tag reads $335. No surprise. He likes to spend money on her. Although, I don't understand why he gives her expensive gifts like this, I'm glad she's finally happy.

I put the ring safely back in its box and then back into the empty box of condoms, and tuck that back into his drawer. Kind of a funny place to hide something. Then, I move on to what I'm supposed to be doing. I look back at the four lone condoms that lay on the bed, and reach into my bag for the thing that I've hidden. After a minute or two of searching, I pull out my box of safety pins. I take one out and expose the needle. I pick one of the condoms up off the bed and take a deep breath before poking the safety pin straight through the center of the package. 

That wasn't as hard as I thought.

I continue the same process through the other three and then put them back into the box, then back into his bedside table the way I found them.

Now, all I have to do is wait.

If Molly gets pregnant, then I get my money.

If she figures out that I did this to her, she'll never speak to me again.

And then I remember... So what? I can buy new friends.

I'm feeling overly confident as I walk back upstairs, but when I sit back down on the couch, the reality of what I just did sets in. I pull my phone out of my pocket and send a text to Molly.

*Not feeling well, gonna head home. Sorry.* Is all I have the nerve to type, and I send the message before grabbing my things and leaving.