chapter fourteen: back at hogwarts

As Raven listened to the enchanting voices of the Frog choir, he absentmindedly shifted his plate towards Goyle who happily accepted his dinner. It had been roughly a week since school had started back up. Raven wasn't hungry, at least not after what had happened on the train there. However, Raven's stomach told a different story.

"Raven, you should eat." Pansy encouraged, offering him some grapes.

"I'm alright, thanks though Pansy." Raven said, causing his short haired friend to pout. She was always the type of friend who acted like she didn't care, but really she did, especially when it came to his health.

"Dude, is it true you fainted?" Blaise asked Raven, who tapped his fingers on the table nervously.

"No Blaise, you did."

"That doesn't make any se-"

"Exactly."

Raven heard Draco next to him, who was turned around annoying his twin again. Raven hit him in the arm lightly, telling him to knock it off. Draco shrugged and turned to face the other potter twin, who's features where whiter and more freckly than normal. His dark hair even seemed to be more oily than usual.

"You look a bit malnourished mate. You should start listening to Pansy." The blonde said, hitting his friend very lightly in the shoulder.

"I'm fine." Raven said in an annoyed tone. "Anyway, I'm gonna go bang my head off a shelf in the library." He said, standing up.

Draco raised his eyebrow in both concern and uncomfortableness.

"Kidding." Raven added turning over his shoulder to speak to his best friend. He then headed off to the library, with the permission of Professor Sprout.

When he got to the library, he realized it was practically empty, other than the portraits. But what would they notice if Raven decided to sneak into the restricted section? Right?

The curious Potter decided to go into the restricted section. He ran his finger across the many restricted books, trying to find one that peeked his interest until he spotted a deep purple, leather bound book entitled, "Horcruxes."

"Horcrux?" Raven muttered to himself.

He pulled the book out from in-between a green book, and a black and white colored one, and opened the front cover.

'The Horcrux, and the art of splitting the soul.'

Raven read the words on the inside of the cover. 'splitting the soul?' he thought.
Curious, he continued to read.

'To split the soul, one must take the life of another.'

When Raven read this, his eyes widened. 'take a life?'

"Well shit, this is some dark stuff." Raven said.

"That it is Mr. Potter." Raven heard a voice say, causing him to fall into his arse and the book fell over his face. He quickly turned around, still on the floor and peeled the book off of his eyes, revealing Professor Lupin.

"P-professor! I was uh-" Raven stammered, scratching the back of his neck.

"You really shouldn't be sneaking into the restricted section Raven, after I saw you leave the feast I figured this is where you were going." The professor said, offering Raven a hand to help him up. Raven accepted the hand, and allowed his teacher to pull him up. When he was standing upright again he dusted off his pants.

"Professor how did you...?"

"I used to sneak into here all the time when I was your age." Lupin answered.

"Ah." Raven said, putting the book he'd been reading back on the shelf where he'd found it.

"Professor I was wondering...what was that spell you used on the train...the one that you know, warded off the dementor." Raven asked, joining the Professor as he began to walk out of the restricted section.

"Hm, I thought you'd ask me that. It's possible I could teach you, and your brother. He came around asking me the same before the feast." Professor Lupin responded. Raven simply nodded.

"Sounds great." He showed a small smile before parting ways with the professor. Something about the professor felt somehow familiar to him, but he shrugged it off.

"Raven! There you are!" Ron shouted at him.

"Harry's been looking for you."

"Yeah I know, it's about the spell right?" Raven said.

"What? Well I dunno, but you gotta come with me anyway." Ron said, grabbing the taller Potter twin by the arm and dragging him back towards the feast.

Meanwhile, Remus Lupin returned to his classroom with the purple book tucked under his arm.

'What are you reading about Raven Potter?' He thought, setting the book down behind his desk.