chapter thirty nine - the talk

Raven paced back and forth, his burned and bandaged arm slung to his opposite shoulder.

"All I've gotta do is talk to him. It's not that hard. He's the same Draco he's always been, right?" Raven said to himself as he plopped down on his silvery sheets. He swung his legs over and sat back up. He seemed to be unable to sit still.

Suddenly, the door opened. Raven perked up, expecting a blonde to come through the entrance. Instead, it was Blaise.

"You look like your having a crisis." He said, his hand falling to his side.

"That's probably cause I am." Raven responded.

The other Slytherin raised a brow.

"I'm assuming you don't wanna talk about it?" Blaise said.

Raven shook his head.

"Have you figured out the dragon egg yet? The second task is a little less than three weeks away." He advised.

Raven's expression leaned.

"I'll figure it out soon enough." He said to Blaise.

"Just a tip, try holding it underwater." Blaise suggested.

"Where'd you hear that?" Raven asked.

Blaise tilted his head. "Just a professor." He answered. Raven thought this was odd. Why would a professor help him with a task clue? Maybe it was just McGonagall looking out for him, but then again, she didn't seem like the kind of professor to break the rules. It was probably against some kind of rules for a professor to help a student in the Triwizard tournament. Then again, there were five wizards this time around which hasn't happened before.

"Also you better talk to Draco because you two not talking to each other is almost weirder than you being in the Triwizard tournament." Blaise complained, opening the dorm door and leaning on it.

"You can count on it Blaise." Raven jokingly rolled his eyes at his friend.

Once the other Slytherin was gone, Raven went back to thinking. Only this time, about the egg. Put it underwater?
Raven made a mental note of it.

He heard the door click open and he perked up once again. This time, it was the blonde he'd been expecting.

"Blaise said you were looking for me." He said, his head hanging as he slipped off his shoes.

"Uh, y-yeah..I suppose you could say that." Raven answered, wanting to curl up and cry. He didn't know why he felt that way, but he didn't like it very much.

"So, what did you want to talk about?" Draco asked dryly.

"Love.." The single word that Raven said, caused Draco's defenses to fall completely, leaving him vulnerable. Raven hadn't called him that in a while. The blonde looked over at his boyfriend, who stared in his direction.

"We need to talk." Raven said, trying to hide that his voice could break at any moment.

"You're absolutely right." Draco admitted, sitting next to the other boy on his bed.

There were a few seconds of silence before either of them said anything else.

"Are we ok?" Raven asked, breaking the silence. Draco looked into the other boy's green eyes, not knowing the answer.

"I don't know, I'm just..scared." Draco admitted. Raven didn't ever think he'd hear Draco Malfoy say those words.

"I know, I am too." Raven said, biting his lip.

"I'm sorry I've been distant, I just.. I can't lose you. These games are dangerous Raven, I just..I.." Draco's voice broke, causing Raven's heart to ache.

"You're not going to lose me.." Raven grabbed Draco's arm, tightly gripping it in his hand. "I won't be killed that easily. I understand your worries, but..Draco I'm going to survive."

"I know.. I'm sorry for not having more faith in you. I know I should I'm just.. scared, love."

"You won't lose me Draco. I promise." Raven looked deeply into the other boy's gray eyes.

Draco took his hand, cupping the dark haired Slytherin's face. He drew him closer, and their lips met. This was the first time in a while.

"Blaise suggested I try putting my egg in the water. Would you like to join me in the prefect's bathroom?" Raven winked.

Draco playfully rolled his eyes.

"Only if you'll dance with me at the yule ball tomorrow." The blonde bargained.

"Deal."

A/n: ok so the timeline is a little different than in the series, but once I get the next few chapters written it will make a lot more sense why I put this scene before the yule ball.

Hope you're enjoying reading :)