First Year 1971

Chapter One

My parents, Lily and I were standing at King Cross Station looking for platform 9 ¾.  A week ago a woman came to our house to tell us we were witches.

She had explained everything from what we needed to buy for school and where to buy them. She had even told us that to reach platform 9 ¾ we should simply run into the barrier between platforms 9 and 10.

Now, as I was standing in front of the brick wall I couldn't help but wonder if this was all a dream. Then again, if Remus is a werewolf, and I had already seen a wall open up to reveal a big alley, then it wouldn't be unbelievable to run across the barrier.

"Are you ready Lils?" I asked, turning to look at my sister. "As I'll ever be." "Are you sure we only have to walk through it?" I asked out loud. "Well that's what that lady said." Mum answered. "Come on girls, we'll walk through it right behind you." Dad said, and I turned to look at Lily.

"Together?" I asked. She grabbed my hand and smiled. "On the count of three." I could feel the excitement building inside me. "One." Lily started. "Two... three!" We both said at the same time, and started running, pushing our trolleys, towards the wall.

I closed my eyes half expecting to run head straight into the wall, but when nothing happened I opened my eyes and sure enough we were now standing on Platform 9 ¾.

I stood there looking in awe. There on the tracks stood the scarlet train with gold letters reading 'Hogwarts Express'. The crowd was filled with people from all ages. Parents saying goodbye to their children, anxious first years like ourselves, and older students reuniting with their friends. Seconds later our parents appeared.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to that." Said my father. We turned around and walked over to them to say goodbye. I gave my mum a big hug. "I'm gonna miss you." I released my mum and switched with Lily now hugging my dad. "We'll miss you too girls." Said dad. "Now remember to behave." He said, giving me a pointed look which I only returned with a smile.

"And we'll keep a lookout for any owls bringing letters." Dad said grinning. Unlike my sister Petunia, my parents had nothing against us being witches, in fact I believe my father is the most excited one about having two witches for daughters. 

The sound of a whistle and steam blowing out of the train indicated it was time for us to board the train, with one last hug to our parents, me and Lily set off towards the train. As we were walking through the crowd Lily yelled. "Severus! Sev over here." I looked to where she was waving and sure enough there stood a greasy haired lad with a nose you could see from space.

He started walking over towards us and I put on a fake smile. I really don't like him, but I don't say anything for Lily's sake. He greeted Lily with a hug and only gave me a mere nod in acknowledgment.

"We should find a compartment to sit together." I groaned on the inside. As much as I love my sister I can only stand so much in Severus' company. Thankfully I spotted Remus with another boy a few meters away from us.

"Remus!" He and the other boy turned to look at me. He gave me a big smile and a wave. Lily was about to say something, but I didn't give her a chance to say anything as I ran over to my best friend.

"Prim!" I gave him a big hug. "I missed you so much!" He laughed and rolled his eyes. "We saw each other two days ago." "Far too much time." I said, adding the frantic flare. Our conversation was interrupted by someone coughing.

"Oh right." Said Remus standing aside so I could see the other boy. He was shorter than Remus, with sandy blonde hair, and blue eyes. "Prim, meet Peter. Peter, this is Prim, my best friend."