First Year 1971

Chapter Four

After visiting Remus at the hospital wing, the free time I didn't spend with either Alice or the boys, I spent at the library reading every book I could find about lycanthropy. Remus had gone through another transformation already and I still couldn't find anything.

So far I could only find that werewolves were either born or bitten, they were classified as very dangerous. Class XXXXX according to the Ministry of Magic when they transform.

The books I read had much information regarding werewolves from their appearance, their traits, and what I already knew from what Remus told me, which was there is no cure for his condition.

I was appalled to learn how they were being treated by the Ministry. They had been shunted between the Beast and Being divisions of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures for years. The Werewolf Registry and Werewolf Capture Unit are both in the Beast Division, while at the same time the office for Werewolf Support Services is in the Being Division.

I had been here for hours reading everything I could and I was practically falling asleep reading the book which talked about the Werewolf Code of Conduct.

"The Werewolf Code of Conduct of 1637 is meant to give Werewolves a framework for coexisting safely and legally within the wizarding world. Werewolves are required to sign a copy of the Code and promise to refrain from attacking and biting non-werewolves. Werewolves are forced to be locked up during their wolf transformations."

As my head fell on top of the table I heard someone call my name. "Miss Evans! What are you doing here after hours?" I jolted up to see professor McGonogall looking down at me and I swear I could see her change her demeanor as she skimmed the book I was reading.

"I'm sorry professor I was doing a bit of... light reading and forgot the time." I said sheepishly. "I will let it slide for now, but do not let me catch you again." I stood up and grabbed all of my stuff. "You won't professor." As I was walking away I heard her ask. "How is Mr. Lupin?" I looked at her and saw a knowing smirk on her face, she knew. "He's doing great." She gave me a final nod before I walked out the library and up to my common room.

The Great Hall had been decorated with enormous pumpkins and other spooky decorations because of the Halloween Feast the previous night, but according to James our celebrations were far from over.

He found out Sirius's birthday is in just two days and it was up to us to give him the best birthday ever. We were sitting under a tree by the lake until it was time to go for dinner. As we walked up the castle I felt someone tugging my hand.

Seeing Remus with a worried look I fell back and let the other three boys walk ahead. "What is it Rem?" "Prim the full moon is tomorrow." Realization dawned on me. It was most probable that after his transformation Remus wouldn't be able to leave the hospital wing for at least a few hours, which means he wouldn't be there the morning of Sirius's birthday.

"Don't worry we'll figure something out." "Like what? You know this is going to keep happening more than once for the next seven years right?"

"We'll have to come up with some illness or something." I saw his face fall. "Yeah why not, it's not like what I have is already bad enough." He said in a fake nonchalant tone.

"Remus, I know this isn't the best, but unless you want to tell them, there's no other way." "I know Prim, I just don't like knowing I will miss so many things because of who I am." The sad look in his face broke my heart. He was right, there were going to be many more birthdays, events, things he will miss because of his condition, and seeing the broken look on his face only fueled me to find a way to help him.