Summer 1973

Chapter Eleven

Summers at Bakewell are very dull, there's only so much you can do when you live in a small town like this, where everybody knows everyone. Like Ted the owner of the ice cream shop, or George the mailman, even Margret who's always yelling at children passing by her house.

Remus and I had done it all. Most of the time we would go to the park where we met, walk through the woods, soak our feet and play in the stream that passes by, sometimes we would only sit there under the sun and read, but even after a while it could get quite boring. On the bright  side, Remus and I hadn't been forced again by our mothers to hang out with Lily and Severus, mainly Severus.

This weekend we were going to spend in London. It was a three hour long ride so Lily and I would have to endure those long hours with snarky side remarks from Petunia, but I wasn't going to let her ruin my mood. Me and Lily were so excited, we had begged our parents to take us to Penny Lane since we're both huge Beatles fans.

We explored the city, saw Buckingham Palace, the Big Ben, Tower of London, and so many other places. Lily and I had the biggest smiles on our faces, even Petunia seemed to forget about her hatred towards us and the three of us had the time of our life. Unfortunately the weekend ended and we had to go back home.

When we arrived there was a stack of letters on the front door, some for Lily from Marlene, and I think another friend of hers from her house, Dorcas. The others were for me one from Alice, other from James and even Peter. We each took our own and walked to our rooms. The both of us started opening our letters when I saw Petunia stand on our door. It looked like those letters were all that was needed for her to go back to hating us.

"Don't your freak friends know what a phone is?" The smile from my face was gone. "What is wrong with you Petunia?" "There's nothing wrong with me, it's the two of you who are not normal." "Why would you say that?" Lily said barely above a whisper, she was never one for confrontations. "Because Lily." She turned to look at her. "Clearly everything is wrong with people who can do things that shouldn't happen." "There's nothing wrong with magic, and we're still the same people we were before we found out about us being witches." She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "I just hope your friends are a little more normal than Lily's, that boy next door looks nicer than the one who's always looming around Lily." Those were her last words before she left.

I looked over at Lily and saw her trying to hold back her tears. While I do think that Lily would be so much better without Snape, I would never make fun of her for who she decides to be her friend. I stood up from my bed and walked over to her. "Don't listen to her Lils, she's just mad that she doesn't get to go to Hogwarts like we do." I grabbed her hand, and she sniffled looking at me. "Do you think she will ever stop hating us for being who we are?" I gave her a sad smile. "I don't know, maybe she will, but you know what? We should each read our letters and write back to our friends." "Yeah we should." I gave her one last hug before jumping down from her bed and back to mine.

I opened Alice's letter first. She told me all about what she had done so far, and how her parents had dragged her on a long boring weekend to her grandmother's house.

Dear Alice,

I'm so happy to see your letter, you have no idea how much I miss our random talks in the common room and our plans for a bright future. I'm sorry your parents dragged you, it must be hard to be an only child, I'm sure I would sometimes die of boredom if it wasn't for Lily. Petunia on the other hand, she keeps getting more angry with us each time we get back from Hogwarts. I act like what she says doesn't bother me, but she's still my sister. Anyway, no more sad things. I hope you enjoy the rest of the summer, if you can, write back. If not, I can't wait to see you next year.

Prim

Then I opened Peter's letter. He told me about how his family had gone on a trip to Egypt to visit some of the dragons. He also said that his mother was eager to meet his friend who kept asking her for her cookies.

"Peter,

It's amazing that they took you to see dragons, I still can't believe they're real, I hope I get to see one in real life too. How was Egypt? Was the weather too hot? Did a lot of sand get stuck in your clothes?

Also tell your mother I would love to meet her someday and I do really enjoy her cookies they're some of the best I've ever had. I haven't forgotten that your birthday is in two weeks, so in advance Happy Birthday! Let's hope one day we get to spend it, the five of us together.

One last thing, have you heard from Sirius?

Prim

The last letter was James's. He told me all about how his father and him had built a quidditch pitch out in his backyard so he could practice, a place where he had been nonstop since it was finished. He told me about how his mum keeps telling him not to drag mud into his house. He also said that we definitely have to spend one summer in his house, that his parents had already told him he could invite his friends over anytime he would like, and asked if I had heard from Sirius.

"Hello James,

Merlin, we are never going to hear the end of your quidditch talk, are we? I'm glad you're spending quality time with your parents, I'm guessing they miss you a lot when you're away at school, and if it was my mum she would also tell me to stop dragging mud to the house, I guess all moms would.

I would really like to spend the summer at your house, maybe next year it can finally happen, and that way we also get to celebrate Peter's birthday with him. As for Sirius I haven't heard anything from him all summer, I asked Peter if he did but I'm waiting for an answer. Maybe he's just too busy with his family. I hope he's enjoying his summer. Can't wait to see you all again.

Prim

I got one more letter from each of them before summer was over. Alice told me to not worry so much about what Petunia says, and that in the end she did have fun at her grandmother's house because it meant she got to spend time with her and learn about her times at Hogwarts, back when Dumbledore was younger and just a professor.

Peter said thanks for the birthday wishes, and that he did in fact enjoy his time in Egypt even if it was hot, and that he hadn't heard from Sirius, not even once. He also said that for this year's train ride his mom would send him a big box of cookies to share.

Finally James had answered with his same funny jokes, all about how quidditch was never boring and one day he would become a very famous player that everyone would want to be his friend, but he would never forget us, his very first friends from Hogwarts. He told me he would hold me to the promise of spending next summer at his house.

Third year was about to start, and me and Remus were having our last sleepover of the summer. He had grown so much in the last two months it made me wonder how much the others had grown too. The scars on his face had started to look old but didn't fade completely.

"Are you ready to go back?" I asked him. "Yes, especially because of the full moon." I looked at him confused. "Why?" "Well mainly because it's less likely that I will hurt someone while I'm there, and secondly,  as much as I love my mum and appreciate her efforts in healing my wounds, it's not the same as getting magical care."

There was silence for a while before I spoke again. "Hey Rem, none of us have heard from Sirius, do you think he's okay?" He looked at me and grabbed my hand. "I'm sure he's fine Prim, you don't have to worry, you'll see him on Monday." I sighed. "Yeah you're right, it's okay, he's okay. I can't wait to be back." I told him as I got under the sheet of my makeshift bed. "Me neither." He turned off the light. "Goodnight Prim." "Goodnight Rem."

A/N

Please vote, comment, and tell me what you think.

Stay tuned messer and don't forget the mischief is not yet managed.