Third Year 1973

Chapter Fourteen

Today were the quidditch try-outs and Sirius had dragged me to witness them first hand, just to 'show off his skills' and win the bet we had made last year. I had completely forgotten about that, but Sirius clearly hadn't,  and he was determined to win, nothing was going to stop him.

James had only gotten better over the summer. Flying past the other players with so much speed, and scoring twice the goals everyone else had. Only that girl Lily is friends with, Marlene, could keep up with, and not entirely.

Then it was time for the beaters. Sirius was proudly standing in the line when he looked over and winked, again I couldn't hide by blushing cheeks. Merlin this is only going to get worse. "You do like him." I spun around to see Remus, looking at me, smiling, "Wha- I don't know what you're talking about." I said crossing my arms and looking back at the pitch. He laughed. "I know you better than everyone else Prim, you can't lie to me." "I don't like him, sure he's my friend, and he's funny, and has the most amazing smile, and-" I stopped mid sentence to see Remus looking at me with an amused smile. "You were saying." I shoved him. "Oh shut up. Please don't tell anyone." He put one arm around me. "I promise I won't." I groaned and placed my head on my hands. "What am I going to do?"

Tryouts were over and the results were going to be announced the next day. As we made our way back to the castle James only talked about how good Sirius was, how he would definitely end up on the team, and he was right, which I feared because that meant now I would have to spend one week doing whatever he wanted.

Next day my peaceful breakfast was interrupted by someone sitting beside me and wrapping an arm around my shoulder. "Good morning Evans, are you ready to spend the best week of your life?" Of course it was Sirius, and while he did show great skill for quidditch and won the bet, my pride and my ego wouldn't let him win that easily. "Oh shut up Black, you got on the team by pure luck." "Really love, are you sure it just wasn't my amazing skills." Stupid Sirius Black, and stupid feelings I had for him made me forget what I was trying to say. I shoved him off and he laughed, making me smile too, I couldn't help it his smile was contagious. "Meet here after classes have ended, so we can have the best week of your life." He said walking away to his house table.

There is no denying that I did in fact have a lot of fun with Sirius the past week. It wasn't as extravagant and crazy as I thought it would be. For starters he made me have breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Gryffindor table, which didn't bother me because I do that every other day, we spent most of the time doing stuff in the school grounds. He made me swim in the Black Lake once, never again. We did some rule breaking too, we pranked some first years, sneaked into the kitchens to steal some food and we went once to the Astronomy Tower at midnight, he knew a lot about stars.

****

With my new found feelings for Sirius this year's birthday sleepover was definitely going to be different. I don't know who decided the whole sleeping arrangement but I felt like asking Remus to change places with me would raise questions, but sleeping next to Sirius, like I had done for the last two years, without the feeling of butterflies in my stomach was going to be a challenge.

The boys had fallen asleep long ago, but the thoughts running through my mind kept me awake. All I could think of was why? Why did I fancy Sirius, why did my feelings for him suddenly change, but most importantly was for how long? Would this last forever, or would this simply be a schoolgirl crush and I will eventually get over it.

I sighed and rolled to my side, surprised to see Sirius wide awake and looking at me. His face was illuminated by the dim light of the dying fire. "Can't sleep? Me neither." He said with a tired smile. "Why not?" I asked him. "Nightmares, you?" "Too much to think about." "Do you want to talk about it?" I could talk to the boys about everything and anything, but this time it wasn't that simple.

He took my silence as an answer, the both of us just laid there without saying a word until I decided to speak again. "Sirius?" "Yes." "Where do you go off to when you disappear?" He didn't say anything, so I thought that like me, he didn't want to talk about it. I was about to turn around when he spoke. "My brother. I leave to spend some time with my brother, Reggie." He said with a small smile.

I remember seeing him on the first day of our second year, and thinking how much he looked like Sirius. "Why do you keep it a secret?" He let out a sigh before answering. "It's not that simple. Ever since I got sorted into Gryffindor things have been worse than usual." I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean worse?" "My parents, they think I am a disappointment, mostly my mother. My father dislikes the fact but he's content that I at least keep my friendships pure blood."

"But Remus and I aren't pure bloods." I said with my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He gave me a guilty look. "They do not know about us do they?" "They believe my friends are James and Peter, but I never told them about you. It's not like I don't want to, but that would just make them hate me more." He had a sad look on his face. "They're your parents Sirius, they don't hate you."

He scoffed. "Maybe my father doesn't, but I'm sure the great Walburga Black certainly does." My heart broke a little, how could a child think his mother hates him. "They don't let me spend much time with Reggie back home, she thinks I'll tarnish him, destroy his good reputation with my bad influence, so I mostly see him here."

"I never tell the boys where I'm going, I don't think they'll like the fact of me talking to a Slytherin." Now it was my turn to scoff. "You're not just talking to some Slytherin Sirius, it's your brother." "Still I would like to keep it a secret. Could you keep it a secret, for me?" I gave him a sad smile. "I solemnly swear that I will not tell a soul." Once again we both laid in silence until I spoke.

"Tell me more." I said in a whisper. "About what?" "Your brother, your father, anything at all." A ghost of a smile appeared on his face before he started talking again. "His name is Orion. He's not one to show emotion, but when he cares for someone he cares deeply. I know he does for Reggie, maybe he still cares for me, even after getting sorted into Gryffindor, who knows. When we were little he used to take me and Reggie out at midnight to see the stars."

As he was talking he turned to look up at the ceiling, a smile forming on his face from reminiscing those late nights out with his father and brother. "If there's anything I know about stars it's because of him. Our whole family has been named after stars and constellations for many years. My name, Sirius, it's the brightest star and it's also known as the 'Dog Star'. His soft talking slowly lulled me to sleep. I tried to keep my eyes open as he started explaining what Regulus's name meant, but eventually I fell asleep to Sirius's stories.

****

Ever since he arrived at Hogwarts Sirius Black has not shared or talked this much about his family to anyone until now. He never got along quite well with his mother, his father was a different story though. He felt as if every new year he spent at Hogwarts his father talked to him less, cast him aside. What worried him the most was his brother, Regulus, or as he liked to call him Reggie. He worried that each year he would lose him a little until eventually they would become strangers.

"Regulus is the brightest star in the Leo constellation, it's made up of four stars." As he was talking about the star his brother was named after he turned around to look at Prim, only to find her sound asleep. He smiled before pulling her blanket up, and whispering his last words before falling asleep too. "Thank you." He did in fact feel grateful, grateful for being able to share his story with some who wouldn't judge him.

A/N

Please vote, comment, and tell me what you think.

Stay tuned messer and don't forget the mischief is not yet managed.