Fifth Year 1975

Chapter Thirty Six

I stood there at the bottom of the stairs debating with myself if I should go. Why had he sent such a cryptic message, and what was so important it couldn't wait until tomorrow? With a big sigh I turned on my heels and walked back to the door. Opening it slightly I peeked my head to look outside before stepping out and turning into the grey fluffy cat that is my animagus. I quietly and swiftly made my way to the astronomy tower and once I reached the top I turned back into my human form. In the faint light casted by the moon I could see the unmistakable dark silhouette of Sirius Black sitting with his feet dangling under the railing.

I stood there, not really knowing what I was supposed to do. Though Sirius seemed to make the decision for me. "I was starting to think you wouldn't show up." I slowly walked towards him and sat down. "Why wouldn't I?" He shrugged his shoulders before he kept talking. "After the game you couldn't be bothered to even glance my way, though I'm certain you heard me call you." I scoffed at him. "So is that it? I don't give you enough attention for one day and you assume I wouldn't come talk to you?" I questioned him, slightly annoyed. "It's more like I didn't take you for one to ignore her friends after a pretty boy starts to give her attention." He snapped.

I looked at him in disbelief before standing up making my way back to the stairs. "Fuck you Black." My voice carried so much venom. Closing his eyes he shook his head, letting out a big sigh before standing up and taking my wrist. "No, wait no. Prim, I'm sorry." I looked back at him. "I'm sorry." He let go of my wrist. I just looked at him with my arms crossed waiting to see what he would do next.

He started pacing, his hands threading through his hair slightly pulling it. At that moment I felt my heart break a little. It was obvious something was bothering him, and that it was the cause of his odd behaviour earlier. My best guess is that it has to do with his family. I knew of his hardship back home, only to an extent, and ever since James found out about it he stopped talking to me. Maybe it was easier for him to tell James.

"Sirius, just talk to me." "Things back home have gotten worse, a lot worse, and I know it's no excuse, but I just... I took out my anger in the game, and I know now that it was wrong, but at that moment I just needed an outlet. My mother is relentless in trying to change my ways, change ME into someone I'm not. Even here at Hogwarts, where she can't physically do it, she keeps sending hateful letters. I no longer read them, James doesn't let me, but I still know what they say. I can hear her voice echoing in my head throwing every insult. Then this morning I got a letter from Narcissa to her wedding anniversary party, where I know my mother will try to arrange me up with someone to marry so she can salvage her name and reputation, and keep me on a tight leash. And I feel like I'm trapped between this wall and a sword and there's nothing I can do unless I find an alternative. Which leads me to my question." I just looked at him, did he expect me to know what he was thinking of asking. "What question Sirius?" He looked at me dead in the eye before asking. "Will you please go to this party with me?

I just stared at him, mouth agape before I started laughing. "You're joking." But when I looked at him I could see he was in fact not joking. "Sirius, have you lost your mind!" I said waving my arms in the air. "You can't expect me to attend a party where everyone in the room will be out for my blood. Where YOUR mother will try to kill me!" I exclaimed. "She wouldn't do it in a room full of people." He muttered and I scoffed. "That's comforting." He looked at me with that damn puppy-eyed look I can't resist. "Please Prim, at least this way some of the women there will be more subtle about trying to set me up with their daughters."

"But why me?" I couldn't help but feel curious. He could've asked any girl he wanted, Merlin knows they've been flocking around him as of late. "Because it would be more bearable if it's someone I know. Someone I can trust, a friend." I ransacked my brain trying to look for any other girl who Sirius might know that he considers a friend or maybe just an acquaintance. Anyone but me.