Fourth Year 1975

Chapter Twenty Nine

Valentine's Day, February the fourteenth, was just around the corner. Like every year the halls were filled with various decorations of pink, red and white. Every girl awaited with bated breath to see who would ask them out on a date. The students, boys and girls alike, were divided between those who looked with disgust, the ones who had to run away or hide from the ones who seeked their affection, and only the few of them who had a crush on someone or were actually dating, didn't mind the holiday. The number of love potions Filch had confiscated was abysmal, and the few poor souls who fell victim to it were recovering in the hospital wing. The head of houses had limited the amount of gifts to only two because the amount of owls that delivered every love letter, poem and gift, and thus the cleaning that had to be done because of it was overwhelming.

Alice was over the moon and couldn't stop talking about Frank. I was happy for her, truly, but Merlin I wish she would shut up for a second. Deep down I was kind of jealous. I had been spending a lot more time with Amos since Christmas and I thought he would've asked me out by now. I'm still unsure of how deep my feelings for him go, but still, seeing every other girl in the years above and a few girls below having a valentine, it made me kind of wish I had my own.

James was relentlessly asking my sister out, getting rejected over and over again, and Sirius insisted on having a bachelors night. "Don't be sad Prongs, you don't need her anyway. Just us four lads will last us for a lifetime, and well of course Paws too." "How are you so sure I don't have a valentine's Pads?" I asked, crossing my arms and looking at him. "Well, do you?" He asked, trying to sound unbother, but deep down the idea of it made his stomach turn. "Well no. Not yet." At this Remus looked up from his book. "Amos hasn't asked you?" I just shook my head. "Well it's his loss. Anyone would be lucky to spend time with you." Peter said. "Yeah he's a tosser you don't need him anyways. So it's perfect we can still have our bachelors and bachelorette night." Just then Lily walked by and James was once again up on his feet chasing after her. "Lily Flower, has anyone told you how unmistakably pretty you look today!"

"Seriously Prongs!" Sirius yelled after him and I laughed. He turned to look at me, a small smile on his face. Glancing at the huge clock on the wall my eyes widened, I was late for class and Slughorn said if I arrived late one more time he would give me detention this Friday and I couldn't let it happen. Standing up rather quickly I took a muffin, grabbed my bag and ran. "Wait where are you going?!" Remus asked. "To class, I'm late!" "Since when do you care?!" Peter asked, but I was already halfway out the Great Hall.

The rest of the day went by quite smoothly as always. The classes I shared with the lads were full of mischief and the ones where it was just Alice and I were filled with talking. I was on my way to the Great Hall for dinner after leaving my bag in my dorm when I bumped into someone. "Prim. I was just looking for you." It was Amos. "Amos, how are you?" "Oh I'm doing well. I uh I actually wanted to ask you something." "What is it?" "Would you, I mean only if you want to..." He looked very nervous, rambling a lot, and I could feel butterflies in my stomach. "Would you like to be my Valentine?" A smile was slowly forming on my lips and my cheeks reddened a little. "I would love to." He smiled in return. "See you Friday then?" He asked and I nodded.

As soon as he was out of sight I did a little jump and ran to tell Alice. I flew past the door of the Great Hall running straight to the Ravenclaw table, past the Gryffindor table not even hearing my friends' greetings.

When I reached her I just blurted out the news. "He asked me out!" She grabbed my hands and she started squealing. "Oh my Merlin, oh my Merlin! I knew he would. Oh Prim this is amazing, now we both have a Valentine this year." I was so excited but then the nerves started kicking in. If Amos had just asked me to be his Valentine then whatever is happening between us is becoming more serious, what would this mean?

My thoughts were interrupted by Alice. "Hey I know that look. Don't overthink it. What is meant to happen, will happen okay? Just let it flow." She said, taking my arm and sitting down. I smiled at her. "You're right." I sat down next to her. For the rest of supper we just talked wondering where our dates would take us, what we were going to wear, and going through every possible scenario. A few other girls from our table joined in on our conversation as well.

****

A flash of red hair ran by the Gryffindor table heading straight for the Ravenclaw one instead. "Hello Prim." "Hey there Paws." "Wait where are you..." She just flew by not listening to their greetings. The four lads wondered why their friend didn't sit down with them like she usually would. They watched as she told Alice something and they both started squealing in joy. "I wonder what that is about." James said out loud. "Whatever it is, she seems pretty excited about it." Peter added. "Reckon Diggory finally asked her out this Friday." Remus said, Sirius's head turned to look at his friend. "No it can't be that. Can't it?" Remus only shrugged. "Not sure mate."

For the rest of supper Sirius couldn't help but stare across the hall at his friend. He admired the way she would throw her head back while laughing, the little crinkles forming around her eyes when she smiled. How her fiery red hair had become a little more crazy as the day went by, just her. "Who are you looking at?" Peter asked. While James and Remus were busy fuzzing over details on the map, Peter was the only one to notice Sirius's uncharacteristically silence. With a dazed voice the latter said one word. "Prim" "Prim?" Peter repeated with scrunched eyebrows, and then opened his eyes in realisation.

It finally clicked. Why Sirius had looked so sour when Amos sat down on their table next to her a few weeks ago, or why his replies seemed a little bit more rude and snarky towards the boy whenever Prim invited him to spend the evening with them. "Oh my Merlin. You like her!" Peter exclaimed, this was enough to snap Sirius out of his daydream. "No I don't." "Come one Pads you're totally crushing on..." Before he could finish Sirius put a hand on his mouth. "Shut up Wormy." He frantically looked around to see if anyone had witnessed their conversation. Thankfully no one had. "And of course I like her, she's my friend." "Whatever you say, Pads."

The conversation was left at that and Sirius's thoughts started to wonder. Of course he likes her. They met when they were only eleven and in a short amount of time she became one of the few people who really knew him, flaws and everything. And not because of his name, or his money or his status, but for being him. But Merlin, she didn't even know about all that when they met. He thought she was loyal down to the last bone, funny, witty, and not to mention pretty. So yes, he liked her, but as a friend nothing more. At least he told himself.

A/N

Please vote, comment, and tell me what you think.

Stay tuned messer and don't forget the mischief is not yet managed.