Second Year 1972-1973

Chapter Nine

The first quidditch match of the season was this weekend, meaning it was James first match as part of the Gryffindor team, meaning he would go on and on nonstop about how excited he was, and how he was pretty confident they would win. Merlin the ego in this boy was the size of the whole castle if not bigger.

The weather had already started to get cold so I walked to quidditch pitch wearing a big sweater, a beanie and my Ravenclaw scarf. Alice and I made our way up where our friends were already sitting.

Alice sat a few rows below me with Lily and Marlene while I sat with the boys. The whole pitch was either filled with gold and scarlet or black and yellow, the excitement of the first match had the whole school on their toes.

I remember seeing my first match back in first year. James had dragged all of us to see it, and while he thoroughly explained every rule and every detail that entailed playing quidditch it wasn't the same as witnessing the game for the first time.

The players walked to the stadium and cheers and boos could be heard from everywhere. The captain of each team shook hands and then Madam Hooch opened the trunk signaling the start of the match.

The players rushed by in the blink of an eye, if it wasn't for the boy commentating I wouldn't have the slightest idea of what was happening. James zoomed past the other team, he was really good and his still small size gave him an advantage over the older players.

The game was tied and neither of the two seekers had spotted the snitch. One of the beaters in Gryffindor had missed the bludger which elicited groans from the members of his house.

"Oh come on. It's not that hard, just use your bloody bat to hit it!" Sirius shouted in frustration. "If you think it's so easy Sirius then why didn't you try out for the team?" I turned to look at him.

"Quidditch isn't really my thing, but maybe I will since it's clear we need better players." "Calm down Mr. Arrogant, how about a bet?" His eyes sparked up. "Keep going." "You try out for the team next year, and if you get in I'll do whatever you want for a week, but if you don't then it's the other way around."

"Deal." He said, shaking my hand. In our little talk we failed to notice that the Gryffindor seeker had spotted the snitch, and only realized when we heard the commentator. "And Gryffindor's seeker Wood catches the snitch earning his team an extra hundred and fifty points making them the winners with a score of 280 points." The cheering and roars of excitement made the whole stands tremble, this win would most definitely inflate James ego.

****

Snow started falling by the end of the month and I couldn't keep my excitement in. Winter is my favorite season. I absolutely adore walking in the snow and then curl up on a sofa wrapped up in blankets with a cup of hot cocoa.

One early December morning I snuck into the Gryffindor common room. I know that technically it is not allowed but the boys had shared the password in case I ever needed something. As I walked in I noticed that the wall where I had left my note had a few more, mostly Remus reminding the other three something.

I quietly walked up the stairs making as little noise as possible. I didn't really know which room belonged to boys, but it wasn't hard to notice the big poster on a door that read: "Future Gryffindor legends: Remus, Sirius, Peter and James." I rolled my eyes. Merlin, these boys can be a little bit arrogant sometimes.

I carefully opened the door not to make any noise, I had to cover my mouth to stop a giggle from escaping my mouth. Sirius was loudly snoring with his hair all over his face, James laid upside down with his head hanging out from the bed end, Remus was covering his ears with his pillow and his face was scrunched up, and Peter was curled up in a ball in the middle of the bed.