Second Year 1973

Chapter Ten

When we returned to Hogwarts we did my annual Birthday prank, which no surprise, landed us two weeks in detention with McGonagall. It could've been only one, but since we somehow managed to get Peeves on board in this one we earned ourselves an extra week, but it was definitely worth it.

Since snow kept falling, one early February morning we got to test James's new gift, an invisibility cloak, which his father had gifted him. The five of us hid under the cloak and threw snowballs at unsuspecting students and teachers. Since I had a terrible aim I stuck to making the snowballs, but the one snowball I did throw landed directly on Snivellus face, which almost blew our cover because we couldn't stop our laughter.

We walked into the Great Hall laughing and recalling the confused and dazed expression of the people who were seemingly hit out of nowhere by a flying snowball. "Oh and when you threw the ball at Snape, that was the funniest thing ever." Peter said between fits of laughter. "You surprise me Evans. You were terrible at our snowball fight before the break, yet you still managed to hit the best target." Sirius laughed.

It was no secret that neither I nor the boys got along with Severus Snape. It was just something that was never going to happen. Me and Remus had known him first. We had to spend long summer evenings, before and after Hogwarts, watching him sulk and say nothing but only when Lily talked to him. James and Sirius absolutely hate him after their first encounter at the train, but you really can't blame them. He outright judged James for the house he wanted to be sorted into and he simply assumed Sirius would be exactly as his family. Peter had been nothing but civil towards him, but lately Severus has found it amusing to taunt him and call him weak every opportunity he has, so yes, all of us absolutely despise him.

Our laughing stopped as soon as Lily stepped right in front of us with anger written all over her face. "Good morning to you Evans." James said, pushing up his glasses. "What can we help you with?" Lily gave him the deadliest glare. "Don't play dumb Potter I know it was you and your friends." "You're going to have to be more specific red." Sirius said and I tried to hide my laughter. "You know exactly what Black, you were the ones throwing snowballs to innocent people, including Severus."

"I would hardly call him innocent." I mumbled under my breath. "What?" Recently me and Lily have been fighting over how my friends treat hers. "I said he's not innocent Lily." I stepped closer to her and Remus tried to stop me. "He's been bullying Peter every chance he gets, so I would give whoever threw a snowball at him a pat in the back because he deserved it."

"You're lying." She looked around all of us. Peter avoided anyone's gaze, James and Sirius were angry she called me a liar, finally she looked at Remus who just gave her a sympathetic look before answering. "She's not." "And if you don't believe me go ask him. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get something to eat." I walked past her and over to the Ravenclaw table.

The boys hesitated for a second before sitting in the empty spaces around me. "Are you okay Prim?" Remus asked, putting his hand on top of mine. "I can't believe she called me a liar, but it's fine she can think whatever she wants." "You didn't have to do that." We all looked up to the voice that was barely above a whisper.

"What do you mean Pete?" "I mean you didn't have to go against your sister to defend me." I took his hand and smiled at him. "Of course I did Peter you're my friend and he's hurting you, and like you said she's my sister we'll be back to normal in a few days, don't worry." He smiled at me. "Thank you." "We'll always have each other's backs." James smiled patting Peter on the back. "Great, now that the sentimental part is over let's eat. I'm starving!" Remus rolled his eyes at Sirius's interruption but we all laughed nonetheless.

****

As the weather started to get warmer we started to spend most of our days under our favorite tree. Lily apparently felt deeply sorry about what had happened at the Great Hall and tried to apologize, but I ignored her. I wasn't really mad at her anymore, but I've always been a proud person and she did hurt me assuming I would do something bad just for the fun of it. 

As I was walking out of the library to meet the boys at our spot I saw her standing by the door with some books in her arms. I rushed past her as she tried to say something, she kept calling my name and yelling for me to stop, but I just ignored her and kept walking.

"You can't keep ignoring her." Remus said as he, Alice and I met halfway down the hallway on our way to the courtyard. "I don't know what you're talking about." I kept walking, not even looking at him.

"Prim." Alice started but I cut her off. "Look Alice, I know I should talk to her, but I don't want to talk to her now." She gave me a sad look and we kept walking until we reached the tree. 

Alice, the boys and I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting under the tree, playing, laughing, enjoying the warm weather and basking under the sun. The sun was already setting when we decided to head back inside. As we were walking I saw Lily standing on the door. I couldn't keep ignoring her so I told the boys and Alice I would meet them at dinner.

I slowly approached her. "Hi." She looked at me and gave a little smile. "Can we talk?" I nodded at her and we walked to sit on the steps. "I'm sorry. I talked to him and he told me the truth." I looked at her and grabbed her hand. "It's okay Lils. I know we haven't been nice to him either, but it wasn't like he didn't deserve it." She scoffed at me but I spoke before she could. "I promise I will try to make the boys stop bothering him, as long as you tell him to leave Peter alone."

"I promise." Neither of us said anything afterwards. It was quite clear that our friends will always be something we never agree on, especially after we each made our own. But just like I told Peter, she is my sister. So maybe we don't like the people we hang out with, in the end we will always find a way to make it work.

I stood up and pulled her up with me. "Let's go get something to eat before the boys eat it all." We laughed and started walking arm in arm towards the Great Hall. We sat down at the Gryffindor table where the boys had already started to throw food at each other. Instead of sitting down next to Sirius, where I usually would, I sat down next to Lily. The rest of the night we spent chatting and laughing.

****

Second year had almost come to an end, and the amount of homework we were getting was taking its toll. Exams are just next week and most of the students were going crazy trying to fit one year worth of learning into one week. James and Sirius were overly confident that they didn't need to study much to pass. Remus had already carefully planned his schedule to study for each class, and Peter was having a very hard time with Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Finally after a long week, it was over. Second year had officially ended. Once again I was unsuccessful in finding a way to help Remus. Honestly, I had given up halfway through the year. I really wished I could find something, but there's nothing. While Remus had already made his peace with the fact that nothing will change, I won't give up. If there isn't any cure, then at least I will find a way to ease his pain, or help him go through the process so he's not alone.

A/N

Please vote, comment, and tell me what you think.

Stay tuned messer and don't forget the mischief is not yet managed.