December 1975

Chapter Thirty Nine

Walburga and Orion had offered to host in their manor. After all, it was their favourite niece's wedding anniversary, and what better place than theirs to remind everyone once again of the wealth and influence of the most Ancient and Noble House of Black. The manor was every bit grand on the inside as it was on the outside.It was vastly decorated with flowers hanging from the stairs railing, arrangements at every every door, perfectly lit grand crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling to give the room a tint of a golden glow, polished marble floors you could even see your own reflection. It was as if everything had been plucked out of a movie.

I stood there marvelling at the beautiful house I suddenly found myself in. "Sirius. I see you managed for once to be on time." I looked to see who had spoken. It was Narcissa. Same striking blue eyes, and blonde hair from the girl I had met on the train first year. Only this girl now looked older, somehow more mature. "Cissy." Sirius greeted her. I could feel her eyes on me. "You're either very brave or very stupid to have brought her here." So she did remember me.

I truly didn't know what to say, but so far I'm starting to believe it is better not talk unless being addressed directly. "Come on Cissy, half of the dumb wits here don't even know who she really is." Sirius knew he was insulting his, and Narcissa's new family, but he didn't care. She gave him a pointed look. "If you could for once behave. I don't want your wild actions and rebel tantrums to ruin my night." Her voice was cold and harsh and I could see Sirius flinch a little. Honestly she had scared me as well.

Just then a couple walked over to us. Tall, elegant, regal, definitely Sirius's parents. He stood up a little bit straighter and all hints of a smile left his face. "Father, mother." He greeted them. Orion only let out a huff and Walburga instantly turned to look at me. "And who might she be?

"My name is Primrose, Primrose Evans ma'am." She looked at me. "Can't say I recognize the name." Before I could say anything else Sirius spoke. "Her family is from Wales, moved to Scotland only after she got accepted into Hogwarts. She is an only child, the only heir to a long line of wizards and witches." That was a complete and utter lie. I don't know how Sirius managed to come up with it on the spot. Yet despite not mentioning anything about my blood status, nothing could ever escape Walburga Black when it came to it. "She's not from the sacred twenty eight?" His mother inquired, but Sirius knew what she meant. He could practically hear her voice 'Oh so you mean she's not pure. When are you going to learn Sirius we don't mix with the ton'. Although Sirius couldn't care less.

I could feel Walburga's judging stare, assessing me from head to toe before she gave me a fake saccharine smile. "Well I guess she's a good distraction until you find yourself a respectable wife." With that she left, leaving me speechless at her rude imply and and a fuming Sirius. "Don't cause a scene Sirius." His cousin said from his left before she left to mingle with the rest of her guests.

The rest of the night was manageable, not pleasant but manageable. Like Sirius had predicted, half the women there were very keen, and very obvious, to make deals and offers to marry off their daughters to the heir of the House of Black. I found it rather repulsive to be honest. What kind of parent would sell their child to a loveless marriage and therefore miserable life?

I wasn't oblivious to the stares and whispers that would follow where we stood. Even though Sirius and I mostly kept to ourselves and avoided the rest of the guests, a few of them often walked up to talk to him, barely even glancing my way. It was exhausting, honestly. Keeping a fake smile and trying to be polite to people who clearly didn't return the favour and had absolutely no remorse in the words that fell off their mouths.

Sirius had long ago learned to ignore whatever they said about him. He knew everyone in this room deemed him as the black sheep of the family, and he somewhat found satisfaction in it. The knowledge that despite his family's effort to uphold the facade of 'the perfect pure blood family' it was slowly starting to crack. First with Andromeda running away and marrying that Ted Tonks boy, followed by him being sorted into none other than Gryffindor house, and now he had brought a nobody, a simple girl into his family house. Oh how Sirius revelled in the gossip and rumours. He loved nothing more than watching his parents struggle to maintain composure in the eyes of everyone.