December 1975

Chapter Thirty Eight

Sooner than I would've liked it was time to go home for the Christmas break. Everything had been set. I will go back home for a few days, and on the day of Narcissa's anniversary party I will use the floo network connected to Remus's house to travel to a little tea/herbal shop where Sirius will be waiting, and from there we will go to the party. Finally, after hopefully surviving the night I will go back to Remus's place next door, then back to my own house. Normally any guest of the Black was welcomed to stay wherever the party is held, as is customary in this kind of event, though for very obvious reasons it is safer not to extend my stay. Besides, as Sirius puts it his mother would rather let a filthy hippogriff sleep in her fancy and expensive silk sheets rather than someone of my  'kind'.

Back home my mother was over the moon about this. Obviously I didn't tell her about what Sirius's parents thought of me or just how terrible parents, and overall horrible people they truly are. Why ruin her excitement? She also believes the boy I talk about in the letters I send back home is Sirius and not Amos. So naturally she thinks this invitation is a step further into the wonderful relationship that's been blooming between me and this seemingly nice fellow I've been telling her about. When I explained to her that they are in fact not the same boy she was confused.

"So you're with Amos, but going as Sirius's date?" I groaned. "For the last time mum. It's not a date, it's a favour for a friend." "Definitely a date." My father said not even looking up from his newspaper. "Daaad! You're not helping." I turned to look at my mum. "Look Sirius needs someone to go with him, but he also doesn't want it to be a complete stranger. Hence why I'm going. It's nothing even completely remotely close to being any sort of a date or romantic interaction." My mum sighed and gave me a smile. "Alright darling. If you say so." God it felt as if my parents were treating me like a baby, as if I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

Later that evening as we were having dinner, an owl had arrived. Its presence made known by Petunias's high screeching. "Oh my god! Get that filthy animal off the window." Turning to look at where her finger was pointing Lily stood to open the window, giving the owl a small treat before closing it once more as quickly as possible to keep the cold from seeping in.

"It's for Prim." Is all she said handing me the box. I looked at it confused. I wasn't expecting anything so who could be sending something so spontaneous.

"Open it." My mother urged. I carefully undid the ribbon that stood perfectly on top of the box. Opening the lid I could see something blue, neatly folded. It looked and felt expensive. It was a dress, resting on top of it was a simple note that read:

"I bet you will look wonderful."

S.O.B

"And yet she still claims it's only a favour." My father mused, but I didn't even bother to correct him or give some witty retort. I could only focus on the box, more specifically the dress. That night I went to sleep with the biggest smile on my face.

The next morning I was a big ball of nerves and anxiousness. I couldn't help but feel like something would go terribly wrong, I was ready to give up and just send Sirius a letter apologising or coming up with a sad pathetic lie for an excuse and stay here in the safety of my bed. Unfortunately that wasn't an option. My mother and Lily, despite that we were not really talking, helped me get ready. Petunia had made herself scarce at the first opportunity available.

The dress was beautiful, and it made me feel like a whole new person. It was a long, deep blue velvet dress, with puffed sleeves. My hair was tied in a simple half updo, and my make up was neatly done.

"Oh Primrose, you look absolutely fabulous!" My mother exclaimed. She had gotten all teary eyed and I couldn't see what was the big deal. "Mum, it's nothing." "What do you mean nothing, you're going to a ball!" I rolled my eyes. "This isn't Pride and Prejudice mum." She dismissed me with a wave of her hands. "Just let me live my fantasy." She took one final look before she left the room yelling after my father. "Darling, you have to see your daughter! She looks marvellous!"