Fourth Year 1974

Chapter Twenty One

Five of us were huddled up in a corner of a table in the Great Hall talking in hushed and rapid whispers about what our plans for this night will be. Exactly one month after our first day of school there is a full moon again, and for the first time all of us will be there with Remus. We asked him to tell us everything from how Madam Pomfrey makes the Whomping Willow stop, the secret passage to the Shrieking Shack, and how his transformation works.

Our conversation halted when we heard footsteps coming our way and stopped directly above us. I looked up to see Severus with the same sour look on his face he always had. "Evans." He said not acknowledging anyone else. "What do you want, Snivellus? Did my sister finally come to her senses and leave you behind?" I asked in a mocking tone. "No. She asked me to give you this." He said, extending his hand holding a letter. Before I could take it James snatched it out of his hand.

"Oi, wait a minute. How do we know you haven't done something to it?" James asked, inspecting the piece of paper, which was then snatched by Peter, next Sirius and finally Remus who gave it to me. "I did not. I'm doing Lily a favour because she was late with meeting her house mates." The scowl on his face seemed to never leave. "Marlene and Dorcas, her other friends? You know Snivellus you're not the only one entitled to call her that." He glared at me before looking at the four of us.

"What are you planning?" "It's none of your business, is it?" Said Sirius. "I know you're hiding something." "Why don't you just leave Snape." "Oh Pettigrew I didn't see you there lurking in the shadows of your so-called friends." Remus stood up and I held him back before he did anything that he would later regret. Severus took a cautious step back and Remus just glared at him before talking. "Leave Severus before I make you." Snape didn't say anything else before glaring at us one more time and then leaving.

Remus sat back down and the other two boys were assuring Peter. Out of all of us he always worried that he was never enough, which he is. I finally took the time to see the paper Snape gave me, and I was utterly surprised to discover it was a letter from my sister, Petunia. I tucked it under my robes and turned to look at the boys to continue discussing our plan for the night.

Full moon, October 1st 1974

The four of us patiently waited for Madam Pomfrey to return so we could sneak into the Shrieking Shack. Earlier that day Remus had told us that every full moon he would take the secret passage under the Whomping Willow up to the old shack to transform without risking hurting anyone. He even told us how to make the tree stop moving just enough time for us to pass. Once we saw the med witch walking back to the castle front doors we set our plan on motion.

"Are you ready?" James asked. It was clear that behind his straight posture and stiff shoulders a hint of doubt and nervousness lingered. All of us nodded, I know that what we are doing is extremely dangerous. "If anyone wants to leave we won't hold it against you, I know Remus wouldn't." I carefully said, not wanting anyone to feel pressured to do this, but as true Gryffindors all three stood tall and strong ready to face any danger. "Anything for our Moony." Peter said.

"All right then, Wormtail you're first." Peter transformed into his animagus and skilfully made his way in between the tree branches to make it stop moving. Once the Whomping Willow was still, the rest of us transformed into our animagus and made our way to the tunnel that would lead us to our friend.

When we arrived Remus had already transformed, carefully the four of us made our way to the room upstairs. The second Remus could smell us he stopped whatever he was doing. It took a few seconds but then he looked like he was comfortable with us. Everything was going quite alright, until I saw that Moony was going to step on Peter. Quickly I rushed to the other side of the room, this seemed like enough to scare him, but I didn't notice. While I was trying to keep Peter safe, Sirius jumped in front of me receiving a slash of Moony's claws making him yelp, and then James tried to direct his attention somewhere else.

After a long time we were back in the Gryffindor common room, despite my protests we had to leave Remus behind. Peter had taken James upstairs while I finished cleaning Sirius's scratches and wounds. "Thank you Padfoot."  I said barely above a whisper. "You didn't have to." "Hey it's not only Moony who we have to keep safe, it's all of us." I smiled back at him, and just then Peter came down the stairs to now help Sirius. "Goodnight Paws." "Night Sirius."

While Peter and Sirius walked up the stairs I slumped down on the couch. I felt something poking my side. I took out the letter Snape had given me earlier. The one from Petunia. Furrowing my eyebrows I opened the letter.

Primrose,

How is school? Don't actually answer, I don't want to know what you or your freak friends are up to. I'm only writing because mum and dad said I have to. I find it ironic really that your kind can supposedly do so many things, yet you still have to use letters to communicate.

What are you supposed to be learning in that school anyway? I reckon that whatever it is, it won't do you any good in the real world. What I can tell you is that at least your friends are slightly less disturbing than Lily's, but still by no means any less weird.

I'm inviting some friends over for Christmas this year. I would appreciate it if you didn't talk about your freak life when you come back, or better yet go spend Christmas again with your friends and take Lily with you, so I can at least pretend I'm an only child and something about my family is normal. Don't bother to write back. I won't read it.

                                            Petunia

It must have been the harsh words, the tiredness and my aching body, but at that moment I couldn't stop my tears from falling. Just then Peter was coming down the stairs once more. "Prim?" I wiped the tears with my sleeve. "Hey Pete." "Are you alright?" I smiled at him. "Yeah I'm fine." He didn't say anything before speaking up. "You know I'm not Remus but I still believe we're good enough friends for me to know you're lying."

Without saying a word I handed him the letter, tucking my knees under my chin. "Why is she so mean, she's still my sister." Peter read the letter and when he was done he simply scoffed, stood up and threw the piece of paper into the dying fire. I silently watched as it went up in flames and Peter sat back down.

He took my hand and I turned to look at him. "Don't listen to her Prim. You're amazing. Tonight has only proven the kind of person you are, and you can grow up to be a Healer, the way you helped James and Sirius today was impressive. And just so you know your weird friends like you just the way you are, I hope you like us all the same." I smiled at him and gave him a hug. "Thank you Peter, and I do like you all." We hugged each other for a while and then he pulled back. "You look tired, you can sleep here if you want, or you can take my bed." "No, it's okay Wormtail, I'll stay here." He nodded and stood up, before he left he pulled off his sweater and handed it to me. "So you don't get cold." I smiled and took it. "Thank you."

****

I woke up with the sun shining on my face. Groggily I wiped my eyes and stood up, stretching my sore muscles from last night and sleeping on the couch. I took off Peter's sweater and folded it. Leaving a small note on top. I looked around smiling seeing the wall where our picture stood alongside many other notes and drawings, each time I came the wall always seemed more full.

I quietly started walking towards the portrait of the Fat Lady until someone's voice stopped me. "Prim? Why are you here?" I turned around. "Hello Lily." "What are you doing here?" Before I could answer she spoke. "What did you do?" I looked at her confused. "What?"

"If you're here you must have been with the boys, you must have done something. I don't understand why you hang out with them Prim. They're bullies, and reckless and loud and all they cause is trouble." Before she could continue her rant I cut her off. 

"We've been doing this all summer Lils, I don't say anything about Snape because if I do you get angry at me, what makes you think that you have the right to do the same with my friends. I already have enough with Petunia. I don't need things like this from you too." Without saying a word I left the common room back to my own.

A/N

Please vote, comment, and tell me what you think.

Stay tuned messer and don't forget the mischief is not yet managed.