Third Year 1973

Chapter Fifteen

Snow had started falling, covering the castle grounds in a thick white blanket, as winter approached and the students wore thick coats over their robes to hide from the cold. Despite the cold weather the students weren't unmotivated for this year's first Hogsmeade visit, especially the third years.

I was currently in my Defense Against the Dark Arts class, we were learning about boggarts and its banishing spell. Bored with the class, I started to pass the pages in my book until I came across the chapter about werewolves. I had read countless times about them to help Remus, but I decided that maybe reading once again wasn't hurtful.

As I started reading I saw a paragraph that caught my eye. The real difference between a wolf and a werewolf is in behaviour. Wolves are unlikely to attack a human except under exceptional circumstances. Werewolves, however, target humans almost exclusively and posed very little danger to any other creature.

It was as if a light bulb appeared over my head. They target humans, but animals, they face almost no danger if they are near a werewolf. Suddenly I remembered McGonagall's class about animagus, and just like that I had found a way to help Remus. I quickly wrote that in a journal I had kept all my research in since I started, marking the page in the book.

Class ended and I was eager to get to my next class, which was Transfiguration. I quickly left the classroom without waiting for Alice who was calling for me. I pushed my way through the sea of students until I bumped into someone. My journal, books and everything else scattered on the floor. I looked up to see it had been Remus who I had bumped into.

"Sorry Rem, I didn't see you there." "It's okay Prim." We stood up. "Why are you in such a rush?" He asked while bending down to pick up the book that had fallen off my hands. "To get to class?" I said more like asking. He laughed. "Since when do you worry about making it in time to class?" He picked up the book and turned it around, as soon as he did his face fell and I knew how this must have looked like.

"Werewolves." He said reading the title, the book automatically opening to the pages I had been recently reading. He looked up at me with hurt and anger in his eyes. He then picked up my journal, skimming through its pages reading what was written on them. He looked up at me again, the look of betrayal in his eyes breaking my heart. By now the other students had left for their own class leaving us standing alone in the hallway.

"Rem it's not what it looks like, you have to let me explain." "Explain what?!" He screamed at me. "I thought you were my best friend Prim, I thought you didn't care." "I am still your friend Remus." "Really? Because I told you my biggest secret, I trusted you Prim. I believed you when you said you weren't scared, and you went behind my back to read all about what I am and how dangerous I can be. Maybe you were looking for a way to kill me just in case." He said, his voice breaking. "How could you say that Remus! That's not true, if you just let me explain." I said walking up to him trying to grab his hands.

He pulled them back and I admit that hurt me a lot. "Don't. Just leave me alone Primrose, don't come close to me." He walked away, leaving me crying on an empty hallway, hurt by the fact that he had never called me by my first name, and the fact that he didn't let me explain.

I wiped my tears and made my way to Transfiguration class. I opened the door and asked if I could enter. "Your late Miss Evans." "Sorry professor, it won't happen again." I said not really looking her in the eye, not wanting her or anyone else to see me. She gave me a long look. "Let it be the last time. Go take your seat." "Yes professor." I quickly made my way and sat down next to Alice. She looked at me. "Are you okay?" I wiped my eyes one more time before looking at her with a fake smile. "Of course I am." She didn't look convinced but decided against saying anything.

Despite my fight with Remus I was still going to help him. I wasn't really paying attention to the class, too many things were going through my mind, but only one mattered. Class ended but I made no rush in getting out of the classroom. "Prim, are you coming?" Alice and I always walk to class together. "Just a second. I need to ask Professor McGonagall something." "I'll wait for you in the hall." I gave her a nod and she walked away.

I walked up to McGonagall's desk. "Are you alright Miss Evans, you looked rather distraught during my lesson?" I swear this woman has a sixth sense. "Yes everything is alright." She nodded "Very well then."

"Professor?" "Yes Miss Evans?" "Hypothetically..." the start of my sentence had piqued McGonagall's interest and she raised her eyebrows at me."If someone wanted to become an animagus, how would they do it?"

She took a seat on her desk and gestured for me to do the same. "Miss Evans you must know I'm not allowed to tell you." I slumped against the chair. "Oh." "I'm also not allowed to tell you that there's a book about becoming an animagus called True Animagus Transformation, in the restricted section."

My smile just grew wider, the only slight problem was getting in the restricted section. "And I certainly can't tell you that Filch will be away on Sunday from 1-3." I could see she was trying to hide her smirk. "You must understand Ms.Evans that I'm not allowed to tell you such things." "Yes, I understand professor." I stood up, grabbing my bag, and walking out of the classroom.

I couldn't really help myself so I turned around seeing professor McGonagall with a small smile on her face. "Thank you so much Minnie, you're the best." I ran down the hallway hearing McGonagall calling my name and Alice shouting at me to stop running.

****

I was supposed to go this Saturday to Hogsmeade with the boys, but considering  what had happened between Remus and I, I decided it was better if I didn't tag along. It was an understatement that James and Sirius were surprised and a little bit angry when I told them. Peter, who was more sensible had noticed the awkward feeling between Remus and I, so he nodded in understanding, giving me a hug before I left, reassuring me that things would be back to normal in no time. I really hoped so.

So instead I decided to spend the weekend with Alice, Lily and Marlene. Which is nice because I want to spend more time with my sister, something I hadn't done in a long time, though that didn't mean I wouldn't miss spending time with my best friend.

James had once again invited us to spend Christmas with him this year, and this time I agreed. I assume Remus would go back home for the Holidays and as much as it pained me to think about it, who knew when things were going to be okay between us again. So maybe if I spend Christmas away from home it would give me time for things to calm down and then try to talk to him again.

So I wrote my parents a letter:

Dear Mum and Dad,

How are you? I miss you both terribly. Remember my friend James I talked to you about? One of the friends I have made here at Hogwarts, the loud boy who is blinder than a bat, who is always telling funny jokes that make me laugh, who constantly keeps talking about quidditch and is always inviting us over the holidays? That James.

Anyhow he invited us for Christmas again this year, and I was wondering if maybe this year I could go? I know you must also miss Lily and I, but I would love to spend some time outside of Hogwarts with my friends. I'll wait for your answer.

Love,

Prim

Shortly after I had sent them the letter I got a reply from them. They told me that despite the fact that they were going to miss seeing me back home for the holidays I was more than allowed to spend them in James's house. They thought that it was a wonderful idea that James had invited us over and that it was nice that I was getting along with the friends I had made, though they did ask if I could ask for James's parents to write to them just to be sure of all the details.

A/N

Please vote, comment, and tell me what you think.

Stay tuned messer and don't forget the mischief is not yet managed.