First Year 1971

Chapter Two

Remus laughed at me. "Right. Boys we keep forgetting she doesn't know much." He then turned to look at the other three. "Let's fill her in shall we." They all looked at me with huge grins and started talking at the same time. Each boy was saying something completely different so it was hard to pick up a single thing they were saying.

"Lads! One at a time please. I can't understand one bloody thing that you're saying." That was enough to make them all shut up. "Right." Said Peter. "We should start with the fundamentals."

At that moment he started explaining everything and anything he knew about the wizarding world. There were a few times here or there where Remus, James or Sirius would add something to what he was saying.

He talked about how witches and wizards have existed for thousands of years and have always hidden from muggles, how they started building their own society with their own rules, but rules that helped them blend in with muggles and stay under their radar.

Then they told me about two witches and two wizards, four in total, who had decided to found a school to teach anyone who showed magical abilities, this magical school being Hogwarts. The four of them had worked together to build the school, but soon discovered they had different views of those who were worthy to be taught magic. Eventually their differences caused disagreement between them before one of them decided to leave.

"Which brings us to the four houses at Hogwarts. Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin." Said James, and now things made a little more sense. "Right but what makes a house different from the rest?" I asked looking at the four of them.

"It's simple." Said Remus. "It all comes down to what they stand for. Helga Hufflepuff thought anyone was worthy of being a wizard. So her house is all about kindness, friendship, team work, and trust, but people also make the mistake to consider them soft."

"Rowena Ravenclaw." Continued Peter. "She thought only the smartest and most intelligent people should be taught how to control magic. Her house is full of smart thinking, witty, innovative and creative people. People who do what needs to be done."

"Then there's Gryffindor." James said with the proudest smile on his face. "Godric Gryffindor believed only the most daring and brave wizards should be taught magic. His house is full of brave, risk taking, loyal and adventure seeking people. They tend to act on impulse and with their hearts rather than with their minds."

I was completely immersed into what each of them were saying, and I had already started to think in which house I'll be put in. It was clear James would end up in Gryffindor, Remus could be there too, or perhaps Ravenclaw, Peter too but not Ravenclaw rather Hufflepuff, Sirius I wasn't really sure where he would fit in. As for me, I didn't really know either. Then I remembered there was still one missing. "And Slytherin?"

None of the boys showed the same excitement to talk about Slytherin as the other houses. "Well Salazar Slytherin believed that only those who had inherited the magic gene should be allowed to do magic. He had this blood purity ideal, that some still believe in, which the others didn't think matter too much. This house is also known for its loyalty for only those they care for, and their ambitious, cunning, and driven wizards or witches." Finished Sirius.

"And who decides which house you belong to?" I asked my final question. "Well I'm not really sure, my mum says all first years are part of the Sorting Ceremony, though she refused to tell me more because she said it would ruin the excitement of figuring it out." Peter said with a slight sour look in his face, perhaps a little upset his mum had refused to tell him.

For the rest of the ride we talked, made jokes and laughed. I had been here for less than a day, and beside Remus, I had already made new friends I was sure would last a lifetime. I had forgotten all about my nerves, but as soon as we arrived at the station they were back.

James, Peter, Remus, Sirius and I, along with all the other first years, were following this gigantic man who was guiding us to some boats at the edge of the lake. As we sat on the boats and they started moving toward the grand castle on the other side of the lake, I couldn't stop shaking my leg in anxiousness.

I then felt someone placing a hand on my knee. I looked up to see Remus giving me a smile. "Don't worry Prim, everything is going to be fine." I smiled at him and took his hand which I refuse to let go the rest of the way.

We arrived at the castle where we were told to wait on these stairs in front of some big wooden doors and wait for someone to take us inside. We stood there for a while when the witch, who I know now as McGonagall, after she came to my house back in summer, stood before us. She gave everyone a stern look before she started talking.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." She said.

Just as she had finished talking the doors behind her opened and we were led inside. As I walked through the doors I couldn't help but to look around in awe. The room held four large tables, each adorned with different colors, and already had older students occupying their benches. What I had found the most amazing was the ceiling. Filled with tons of candles which seemed to be floating, but the best part was the roof.

Instead of being made of stone, like the four walls in the room, it was completely see through. I could perfectly see the night sky which was clear enough so you could see how it was filled with stars. My wondering was interrupted when we came to halt at the very front of the room.

My nerves had once more resurfaced, but this time it looked like I wasn't the only one. McGonagall placed a very old looking hat on top of a stool, and once more I was stunned when it started singing. As soon as it ended McGonagall held a parchment in front her and started calling names.

"Louis Altler!"

A tall boy with brown hair walked up to the stool and sat down. After a few minutes the hat rim opened up once again and shouted. "Hufflepuff!" He stood up with a smile on his face and walked up to the table covered in black and yellow.

"Sirius Black!"

Sirius stepped away from our group and walked up to the front with grace and nobility in his step, a clear sign that he was raised by pure bloods, and a proud smile on his face. The hall sat in silence and after a few seconds it shouted once again. "Gryffindor!" Despite claiming he didn't want to be sorted into Slytherin, all color drained from his face after the hat shouted, and gasps were heard all over the Great Hall. He just sat there until McGonagall gave him a pat on the back. He stood up and walked towards the scarlet and gold table glancing back at the blonde girl sitting with the Slytherins.

A/N

Please vote, comment, and  tell me what you think.

Stay tuned messers and don't forget the mischief is not yet managed.