o. ┃previous

"I'm heading out."

A young girl looks back from where she stands, her hand placed complacent on the ajar wooden door as she watches the older woman frantically scramble around the kitchen with a phone cradled between her shoulder and cheek. Her face contorts as she disappears behind the wall, her voice rising slightly with unfamiliar words she most likely only studied to impress her boss. After what seems to be an eternity of going back and forth with the invisible conversational participant, the woman finally relents a single hand in a waving motion in the kitchen doorway before returning to what she was doing. Whether or not it was in acknowledgment or in attempts to get rid of the female because she was being a disturbance, the younger girl took the gesture as some sort of sign of recognition as she left the house, making sure to lock the door behind her. A small yawn just barely passed her lips.

She didn't wait for any real response, already knowing from past experience it would just end in her being scolded if she would dare interrupt the woman as she worked. That or some sort of admonishment about how she refused to make herself look proper for the fifth day in a row (Honestly, she couldn't tell which exactly was the worse of the two). Her mother, ever the constant worker who decided the best things in life were the ones she did by herself. You would believe a mother would care to involve themselves in their daughter's daily life just to make sure they weren't doing anything stupid but apparently, that concept wasn't true. In fact, she was fairly convinced if she were to tell her mother she was going to jump off a bridge because the other kids at school were doing it, her mother wouldn't even give a damn.

It wasn't as if she could blame the woman either, she was just a very antisocial person. Being a single mother came with quite a bit of responsibility after all, so at the very least the daughter could afford to pretend to listen to late-night cries no matter how numb she had become to them. Despite their distance, she didn't outright hate the woman for the way she acted.

The female slowed down as she neared an intersection, landing herself neatly behind the group of people waiting to cross the car-driven road. She watched patiently, pulling out her phone and placing a pair of earbuds in before the small bing came. Shoving the device back into her pocket, she followed silently behind, allowing her ears to be filled with nothing but the comfort of silence. The white cord dangled from the sides of her ears, bouncing with each step she took.

It was quiet but withstandable. These were the moments she had come to appreciate, or at least, she had come to believe so. The school was a bit of a distance away from her home and usually, she would have to rely on walking to the nearby subway to get there. It was often quite busy, especially this early in the morning when people were just getting up for work, but she didn't truly care. So long as she had her earbuds on regardless of whether or not she was actually listening to something, she had come to learn it was much easier to ignore other people. How many times she had come to hear about someone's morning complaints.

But as much as she hated social interaction, she couldn't deny the fact she didn't at least hold some amount of decency to respect other people's spaces. So long as she never approached them or took up too much of their space, they would generally leave her alone save for the one person who didn't appear to understand social constructs or was handing out sample tissues for some godforsaken reason.

Perhaps she should have been more careful with that sort of thing.

She blinked momentarily as a drop of water splashed against her nose, her eyes crinkling ever so much. She glanced upwards, a small scowl coming forth as she hurried her pace along before any more drops could cling to her uniform. Her hands lifted the small bag she held, dragging it over her head in hopes of staying dry. Hadn't the weatherman said it was going to be sunny all through the afternoon? What a fucking liar.