xxxviii. | payment

It came to a surprise to everyone when they watched the events of the first match of the second round.

When Todoroki Shoto had decided to use his flames, the crowd had become quickly acquainted with just how boastful the number two hero was when it came to matters of his own family. Shinso had found himself unable to move when he had seen how hard she had been fighting, how desperate every single one of her actions seemed to be. The way she had moved around, it was almost as if she had been familiar with this sort of thing from before. Despite her reliance on support items to make her way through, most of her actions had been fairly self-reliant on her own abilities. She was graceful with each step, each twist and turn to be accurately precise. In ice, she had been elegant and in fire, she had been unrefined as did her opponent. The flames had danced around them as they had moved, vulgarity claiming them at the moment. It had taken away his breath to watch their every movement, to see just how far someone who was quirkless could carry themselves. When it had been announced she had won, he had thought she would have been happier about it. She had seen the way she looked at Todoroki, almost anxiously. She should have been more proud that she had been able to make it this far due to her own efforts.

But instead what he had been met with was the frantic cries of his vice representative as she struggled to get Todoroki to move.

"Shinso-san," Sakura had let out unsteadily as they watched the arena clear out, the two students being carried away. He broke from his train of thought and glanced over her, providing her an understanding glance, before getting up from his seat and making his way inside of the arena. In several minutes of silence, he stewed in his own thoughts before making it to the makeshift nurse's office, just stopping before the door as he took in the sight of the three other students before him.

Monoma had thrown him a glance, an almost pained expression on his face as he kept to himself for once. Midoriya was frantically pacing in front of the room, muttering something to himself and refusing to acknowledge anyone else around him. Hatsume had stayed near the wall, fingers tinkering away with a small object as her face remained unreadable. He slowly neared them, his hands shoved deep inside his pockets. Purple eyes were guarded as he glanced at the door in consideration, noting how it was closed.

"You're wondering how she is, right?" The blond surprisingly was the one who broke the silence. With a short laugh, he shook his head and gestured toward the closed door. Midoriya nearly ran into him as he stumbled out of his thoughts, looking around the corridor before his eyes landed on the purple-haired male. "Recovery Girl won't let anyone in. We've already tried but it seems like she's adamant about keeping everyone out for now." A cringed smile. "So now, we wait."

"I shouldn't have forced her to help me during the obstacle course. If I hadn't pushed her to participate then maybe..." the green-haired boy announced, brows furrowed intently as his voice trailed off. Monoma scoffed as he turned his head back over, giving a mocking look as he crossed his arms. The hero student jolted at the look, averting his eyes to the side.

"Don't be a fool. Blaming yourself won't do anything."

"But he's right." Hatsume looked up at them, lowering her invention. "We all forced her to keep participating in the sports festival even though she didn't want to. If we had just listened to her, then none of this would have happened in the first place."

"You're all acting like she died or something." Shinso sighed as the three students looked over at him, shaking his head. "Look, I'm just as concerned about vice rep as the rest of you all are, believe me. But Monoma-san is right. Blaming ourselves isn't going to do anything." He frowned, recalling the scene. Her desperation had been apparent in the constant silence, a single cry ringing forth through the stadium. "What happened back there couldn't have just been because we all wanted her to participate. She might over-worry about things but she doesn't just react like that for no reason."