xvii. | subversion

Monoma wasn't desperate.

Over the years, Monoma had come to learn the exact difference between being independent and dependent on others. Those blessed with quirks suited for hero work, quirks that didn't have to rely on others in order to be used, were the type of people who would rise to the top. Those who were unfortunate enough to be blessed with quirks that were not suited for hero work, quirks that have to rely on others, were the ones who would remain at the bottom. At a very young age had become aware of that sort of truth, a fundamentally devastating conclusion for a child to finally recognize no matter how old they might be. While there were those who could work past this fact and use their own surroundings to their own advantage, it required much more work than necessary in order to accomplish and they were never truly recognized for their capabilities. In a world where being a hero was the dream everyone seemed to hold, those unfortunate enough to be born with quirks less suitable for society were told they were nothing but backdrops to the more fortunate.

Being independent meant having a quirk that didn't need anyone else in order to be activated. Those were the types of people looked up to in society. Never was it the ones who needed to rely on others in order to use their quirks. No matter how many people said it was better to work in teams and how teamwork was so essential to life, there was always going to be one person who stands out. There was always going to be someone who naturally stood out, the main character. Everyone else was nothing more than a side character, meant to make them inherently look better when placed in comparison. In a battle, the victor would be the one who didn't need the help of others.

To the world of heroes, Monoma Neito was nothing more than a side character.

He learned very early on what the difference between being independent and dependent on others meant. From an early age, Monoma looked up to heroes. He liked them a lot, who wouldn't after all? Heroes were the front of society, the top dogs in the world. Heroes were the ones people looked at as their saviors, as people who could do little to no wrong. They were the very definition of good when the world became black and white. So Monoma had decided from a very young age that he would become a hero. He would become someone important in the world and nothing else mattered. That was what every child wanted, to become someone important and have their name engraved in history.

Yet everything seemed to become so impossible the moment his quirk came in.

Unlike other people, Monoma didn't have a quirk he could use whenever he wanted to. Instead, his quirk allowed him to copy other quirks. He needed other people in order to use his quirk. This one simple fact, and such a small one it was, seemed to destroy everything the blond wanted within a matter of seconds. Suddenly, the world became condescendingly sweet. The world, which had once seemed too vast, had been closed off to him. No longer did he receive the same treatment as his classmates when they played heroes. He didn't get an affirmation. He didn't get to be acknowledged. Instead, he received realistic expectations from his teacher. He was told his quirk wasn't right for hero work and that he needed to give up on his dreams. He needed to be realistic about things (but how could a child possibly do that?).

Being independent meant being special and compared to his other classmates, Monoma was nothing special. His classmates were the stars of the show while he was kept behind the stage. He began working harder, did anything he could to gain even the smallest amount of encouragement, but in the end, it was all the same.

You need to be realistic.

This isn't just some game.

Grow up.

At a very young age, Monoma was told he needed to grow up.

And grow up he did.