xxv. | analyst

"I'll be honest with you, I really hate you."

He had been taken aback when he heard her say that. It was the first time she had ever said anything directly toward him, on a simple day like any other for that matter. On the last day before summer break, she had waited until class had ended before turning to him. He had been writing down a few more things and hadn't realized the time, only noticing the classroom had been mostly emptied by the time he had begun packing his things up. But before him she sat, nearly startling him in the process. He hadn't even realized she had been looking at him the entire time, almost believing she was a corpse if it wasn't for the occasional blink she provided. She tilted her head to the side gently, practically in practiced motion as her mouth moved slowly, completely distant from her body.

Under the light of a dying sun, her face had been completely devoid of any semblance of emotion that day.

"Tell me..." Her eyes seemed to bore into him, her body leaning over his desk and causing it to creak. Her voice had lowered, matching the straight line that sat on the lower half of her face. "Did you have fun with your little game?" Hair followed her slow movements as her head tilted to the other side, a finger impatiently tapping against the smooth wood and filling the surrounding silence. He could only tense, his mouth opening but unable to properly move as if he had suddenly lost the ability to speak. She had never been creepy before but in that instant, his skin seemed to crawl. "Did you enjoy making fun of me like everyone else?"

"-It was never my intention to hurt you-" he ushered out quickly, her name completely foreign in his mouth. He frowned, brows furrowing intently as she remained silent, considering him. He suppressed a gulp, unable to figure out why he had suddenly become so nervous about speaking with her (Laden guilt sat in his gut, curling at the side with its own vice grip despite the truth he held within his own self). "-I'm sorry if I did something to offend you but if you would consider my position you would have done something too. I understand I may have not been the best of...classmates to you, but please know I would never do anything to bring you any harm."

"I'm sorry-" She jolted as he said her name once again, eyes widening as his hand suddenly placed itself gently on the one she had put on the desk. He wondered if it had been a good decision on his part, coming to realize how fragile things had truly been later on, but never once regretted his choices when she didn't move back. "But I can't help you unless you let me. I've...come to realize that I should have done more to help you. I was too complacent with just watching everything like everyone else. What you had to go through, what happened earlier, is truly unforgivable and I should have paid more attention to it." He stopped midway to find himself once more, his breath appearing to stop on a short raise. "Things...don't have to be this way. We can still bring it up to the teachers- someone's probably still here. I'm sure my brother would be more than willing to help you if we just-"

"Stop."

He froze on the spot as she raised her voice, lowering her head. It was shaky at best, her attempts at gaining his attention, and her hand was swift to swipe at her face to hide her apparent emotions. She yanked her hand away from him, scooting herself back from his desk and placing it on her lap where her fingers dug into her skirt uneasily. Her head shook from side to side, her words coming out quieter than her initial reaction. "Just- Just stop already," she managed to say. His frown grew deeper watching her create that distance, refusing to meet his eyes. "Why don't you get it? I don't need your help; I never needed your help. I don't need someone to save me from my problems so just quit it. I don't know why you're so obsessed with the idea of suddenly helping me but it isn't going to work."

"Som-"

"I was perfectly fine before you started trying to insert yourself into my life. Even if they said all those things about me, I was able to just ignore it. I knew that none of it was true." Her head shook more, her hand wiping harshly against her face. "But then you just had to insert yourself into my life. I wasn't like you did anything before but all because you saw me that one time, you just had to be a hero. You just had to make it all some sort of issue so you would look good to the teachers, didn't you?"