xxvi. | wishing

"I can't take it anymore."

Shinso raised an eye as the female sitting beside him groaned loudly, hitting her head against the desk with a loud thud. A muffled cry followed shortly after as her arms hung uselessly on either side of the small table. "Why do these classes have to be so ridiculously long?" she whined out. "I knew U.A was one of the top schools but I didn't think that would correlate with the general studies lesson plans." The purple-haired boy narrowed his eyes a bit at her before rolling them, going back to looking at his own work.

"It's your own fault for deciding to go to a prestigious school. They aren't kidding around when it comes to the workload," he commented. She groaned again, much longer this time around. He sighed, frowning. "If you're that tired, then give me your notebook. You missed about half the notes for the last period and I don't want you failing."

"That's because I already know all this stuff from my previous life," she mumbled out in a half-annoyed tone. Regardless of her increasingly exhausted demeanor, she lifted her head back up and moved her stuff over to the male with a bite to the lip. E/c eyes looked to the side, noting how most of their classmates were already leaving for lunch. "You don't really have to, you know," she started as he grabbed the paper book. "I might not be as smart as some other people, but I should be able to get by without one day of notes."

"It's cool. You've been helping me out after school before the sports festival so just think of it as paying you back," he shrugged out easily. He frowned, his hand going to rub the back of his neck. "Maybe I'm just seeing things, but you've been pretty distracted these past few days. This is the third time you stopped paying attention halfway through a lecture and you've been running off somewhere for the past few days." She blinked at him in silence, watching as he refused to meet her gaze. "Don't get me wrong. It's not like I can stop you from doing what you want to do. But if you ever need anything, you can just ask, you know? I don't mind giving you a hand if you need something."

"Have I been that distracted?" the h/c haired girl winced out. He nodded his head and she relented. "I suppose I have been a bit preoccupied with the upcoming sports festival..."

"You?" He raised a brow at that. "I thought you didn't care about it."

"I mean, not really," she said with a shake of the head, arms going out. "The sports festival is a chance for U.A to show off their students to the public. It's a way of raising public appeal for the upcoming hero generation and keeping people interested. It has to be as big and flamboyant as possible and someone quirkless definitely doesn't fit that criteria. Since the school doesn't have many requirements about quirk usage, it's a chance for people to go all out against one another in the most brutalist ways possible. Honestly, I'd be asking for a death sentence if I chose to compete against everyone. It's just a massive waste of time." She sighed. "No, my friends are the ones who are interested in the festival. I was watching their training sessions after school."

"You what?"

"I mentioned I was friends with Midoriya and Monoma-kun," she chimed, holding a finger up. "They asked me to participate in their training sessions a few days ago. Well, participate as in simply sitting there and watching them the entire time. I ended up giving a few of them advice since they asked for some help." She refrained from telling him how she had been staying up in order to finish writing out the different regiments she had promised or the fact they had practically exploded her phone by this point, forcing her to be a little more aware when making sure her notifications were turned off before she went to class.

The girl watched as the boy visibly deflated, holding his head in his hands as a dark air passed through. His brows knitted closely against one another as his eyes closed, his mouth moving to say something but the words were incomprehensible to her. Slowly, he moved himself back up and sighed, a strange feeling of agitation coming forth from him. "Why do I even bother trying anymore?" he let out exasperated. She frowned at his statement, thinking over his choice of words. "Well, if you ever need a break, just let me know. They shouldn't be dragging you around if you're tired."