xxiii. | reception

"Midoriya..."

"Yeah?"

"I think I'm lost."

"It's not hard to miss though? Where are you right now?"

"Um-" E/c eyes squinted a bit as she looked at the classroom in front of her, a grimace barely passing through. "The third floor near the third-year classes."

"Wha-" Sputtering came through the other line of the phone, the female moving it away from her ear with a short wince in discomfort. "It's on the ground level so why are you even on the third floor? I knew I should have come and gotten you after class...Ah, just hold on Masami-chan! I'll come and get you so stay right there, alright?" The call was soon ended with a small note that made the female sigh, a shadow casting over the upper half of her face. She lowered her arm, running a hand through her hair dispassionately.

Midoriya had been fairly eager the past few days upon realizing his dear friend from general studies would be attending a class training session, something she still wondered why he even invited her to come to. Almost every single one of his texts for the past few days had been singing nothing but praise for his fellow classmates and their quirks, the boy almost going into his ramblings a few times. He was quick to stop himself, however, mentioning how he wanted to wait until they met in person (which was quite strange considering they walked to school almost every day and had eaten lunch together on a few occasions). But she wasn't about to judge him anytime soon. He was after all one of her closest friends and confidants here at the school, a saving grace from whatever the fuck Monoma was and the support department student who had become rather busy with a project and was still eagerly waiting for their date that weekend.

Friends.

She still couldn't find herself getting used to the word. Each time the topic came up in a conversation, she had to remind herself what to say. She knew that was what her relationship with Midoriya, Monoma, and Hatsume had become but actually getting her mind to agree with it was another thing. Her mind still wanted to focus on everything else, the thought of pushing them away long gone but the effects still lingering behind. It still felt so strange to call the characters she had once spent hours idolizing and talking about her friends. But it wasn't like they were anything else. The three had even told her outright they were friends on multiple occasions so there shouldn't have been a problem with her calling them something so simple. And yet...

Her lips pursed as her body turned around, sliding against the wall. Phone still in hand, she fumbled around a bit with her text messages to make sure Midoriya wasn't searching too hard for her. After being trapped at U.A for the day, she was starting to believe her friends had some seriously terrifying stalker abilities.

Especially Midoriya.

That boy was terrifying in his own right.

Suppressing a shudder, she glanced over to see a group of students coming down the hallway. Her eyes quickly moved back to her phone, body attaching itself closer to the wall as they passed by. These were the third-year students, weren't they? E/c attempted to look up inconspicuously,  watching them with a certain amount of divided attention as her fingers kept close to the device held near her chest. Well, they certainly looked the part, that was for sure. Unlike the first-years who always seemed to be running around and the second-years she had barely been able to see, the third-years walked around with a lot more pride in themselves and more familiarity. Like the other students attending, they were much more prone to keeping around their general class areas and didn't wander around that much. Additionally, they were a lot more easygoing with one another, which wasn't saying much-considering class 1-A was generally pissing off every other first-year student during their free time.