xxxi. | priority

"Ami-chan!"

"Hatsume-chan!"

"You all did really good out there," Midoriya laughed out softly as he watched the two girls collapse into each other's arms, a cry springing forth. The pink-haired girl grinned happily as she lifted up the h/c haired girl and spun her around quickly, the two becoming a blur of wind within a matter of seconds and leaving several of the students in the cafeteria to watch in bewilderment. "Hatsume-chan. Don't swing her around too much. She's going to get sick at this rate."

"If it isn't Midoriya. Come to finally admit your loss for once?" Monoma chided with a sardonic grin filled with satisfaction, practically huffing his chest out. "Your classmates may have gotten through the second round but this time, we won't let you win. Kaibara and I are going to take the first and second place spots from right under your noses."

"You're acting like we got first place," Shinso sighed out, having grown a bit annoyed by the hero student's antics by now. Still, he didn't make any moves to stop the other. As he tore his gaze away from the blond, he gave the green-haired boy a passing glance. His hand moved to the back of his neck, avoiding his gaze. He remained silent for a few seconds, allowing the air to pass by, before slowly speaking once more. "...Good work out there."

"You're the guy I spoke to last time," Midoriya concluded after a few blinks, a sense of nervousness coming forth. He raised his hands defensively as his eyes went wide, swapping between the two guys in disbelief as if he had only just now connected the dots. Despite the purple-haired male's demeanor that held nothing inviting about himself, he remained somewhat of a close distance near Monoma and wasn't actively arguing with him either for once. "Um, you did good too. C-Congratulations on getting second place."

"What's with the look Midoriya? You're acting like you've just seen a ghost." Monoma's grin only widened as he wrapped an arm around the other male, causing him to make a small noise at the impact. The blond closed his eyes and nodded his head in understanding. "You must be wondering why I'm hanging out with someone like him, aren't you? To answer your question, I've decided to take Shinso here under my wing! Since he obviously doesn't know how to act like a hero, I've decided to teach him everything there is to know."

"I didn't agree to this," the general studies student deadpanned but was quickly shot down.

"Now, don't say that. You can't tell me you didn't feel some sort of connection between us after the cavalry battle. I'll admit, you're still quite entitled for someone who didn't even pass the entrance exam for the hero course, but I can look past it after seeing how much you care about your vice representative. You might not have the same strength as some of the others but you've clearly been working on yourself."

"I'm glad you're both getting along?" Midoriya said, although it ended up coming out more as a question than anything. The look of disbelief bordering disturbed had yet to leave his face nor had his eyes stopped frantically switching between the two students. "Monoma-kun..." His voice became a whisper, a hand going to hide it as he eyed the boy beside him. "This isn't some weird thing you're trying to pull or anything, right? Because if it is I don't think-"

"Hm? You've become quite bold since we first met, haven't you?" Monoma shot right back, interrupting the other boy. He outstretched his arms in an elaborate shrug, a rather smug aura surrounding him. "To be honest, I still don't like Shinso here all that much. But I'll at least give him credit for his persistence. It's not every day you meet people who don't blindly believe everything they're told and have a vendetta against your class. Isn't that right?"

"Why did I even bother following you two," the male drawled out, frowning. "The only reason I helped you out earlier was because of Soma. If she hadn't been on your team, then I wouldn't have agreed to it." His hands shoved deeply into his pockets as he took a step forward. "You and I are nothing like each other."