xi.┃efficiency

The day before the first day of school came quickly with the passing summer.

"I think I have everything..." Midoriya muttered to himself. A single finger was held in front of his chin as he stared down at the items laying down on his bed. His bag hung from his shoulder, the boy opting to wear a simple white shirt that read the word "tee-shirt" and some pants. His red sneakers sat near the front door in the same place as he had left them yesterday, the boy making sure everything was ready to go for the next day. Yet here he still was, stuck in his own bedroom as it slowly turned to afternoon.

The boy sighed as his face fell, letting his body fall faceplant into the bed. The items jumped at his additional weight, the comforter sinking him down further. He stayed in that position for a few seconds before slowly moving his head upwards, green eyes poking out in disappointment.

In truth, he should have not been so overprepared for today. After all, it wasn't the first time Masami had asked to hang out nor was it the first time they spent time together without anyone else around. She had assured him on multiple occasions that she enjoyed his company and didn't seem like the type of person to keep doing something if she didn't want to. Plus, it was a natural thing that happened whenever people got to know each other more after a while. They spent more time together.

But ever since they had gone to the movie theatre, Midoriya had found himself spending less time than he usually did with the girl. It wasn't her fault. In fact, Midoriya had been glad to find out Masami had made some friends at the entrance exam. Since she was quirkless like he had been (technically still was, his quirk was from All Might after all), he understood she probably didn't have an easy time making friends. So to find out she had met not only one, but two people who seemed to have little care about her apparent difference was comforting to the boy. It meant she would have more people to rely on in the future.

And still, the boy couldn't help but find himself wanting her to rely on him more than those two.

The more Masami got to know Monoma and Hatsume, the more it seemed like she was relying less on Midoriya. It wasn't her fault. He knew it would foolish to expect her to only rely on him all the time. But no matter how much he told himself he was alright with things, that he had to constantly reassure himself that she wasn't going to leave him, he found himself feeling ever so disgusted with himself. He shouldn't be having these feelings for his friend, wanting her to remain by his side where he could watch over her. But the longer he denied them, the stronger they seemed to grow, practically eating at him the more he watched her laugh with someone other than him.

He really shouldn't be having these feelings for a friend.

The boy groaned, rolling over as he felt his cheeks heat up a bit. He quickly shook the thought from his head, green tufts of hair bouncing slightly. His hands went to his face, covering it as he continued to lie on his side. "What's wrong with me..." he whined a bit, his voice muffled by his palms. "She's just a friend." Another sigh escaped from him, the boy feeling more dejected the longer he stayed there in silence, the only sounds being heard coming from outside.

Masami was a friend, one he happened to meet before U.A. Masami was someone he got along with. Masami was someone who didn't judge him for anything. Masami was a nice person who never got mad whenever he began muttering or started rambling about some hero. Masami was quirkless and never once got mad whenever he told her he had gotten a quirk. Masami was more comfortable around him than she was around Monoma or Hatsume. Masami would always ask to hang out at the arcade or some cafe. Masami would always choose sweets whenever they ate out together. Masami liked playing shooting games and hated claw machines because they were rigged. Masami thought he was cool for being good at claw machines. Masami always carried around the All Might plushy he had gotten her. Masami usually paid for things whenever they were together. Masami's favorite color was-