Chapter 15

It had quickly turned into October, with the air crisp and cool, and the leaves starting to turn shades of gold, crimson, and amber. It was perfect, and the beauty of the season was on full display.

Harry and Riley had finished their homework so they chose to wander through the Forbidden Forest.

The forest this time of year was not as ominous as it was during other seasons.

The two were surrounded by a sea of colors. The trees swayed gently in the breeze, and the leaves rustled underfoot. The sun shone brightly in the clear blue sky, casting a warm glow on everything around them.

 As they continued to walk, they were met by a barefoot Luna Lovegood. Her back was towards them and it seemed that she was petting something.

"Hello, Harry Potter, hello Riley Madden," Luna said continuing to stroke the thing.

"Your feet. Aren't they cold?" Harry asked her.

"Bit. Unfortunately, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared. I suspect Nargles are behind it," Luna smiled sweetly.

"Luna, what are you doing?" Riley asked, confused by the girl's behavior as it seemed that she was touching air.

"Do you not see it, Riley?" Harry asked her.

"No, what am I supposed to be looking at?" Riley asked the two.

"A black skeletal horse thing...what are they, Luna?" Harry asked her.

Riley felt something bony brush past her. A cold shiver went up her spine

"Woah what was that," she said , whipping her head around but was met by nothing.

"They're called Thestrals. They're quite gentle, really, but people avoid them because they're a bit..." Luna stared off.

"Different," Harry finished as he saw a baby Thestral trot up to it's mother happily.

"Wait why can't I see them?" Riley asked Luna who was walking up to the Thestral family.

"They can only be seen by people who've seen death," Luna said softly.

"Oh," Riley looked down awkwardly.

"So you've known someone who's died, then?" Harry asked Luna who wore a sad smile on her face.

"My mum. She was quite an extraordinary witch, but she did like to experiment... and one day, one of her spells went badly wrong. I was 9," Luna looked down, kicking a tiny pebble in front of her.

"I'm sorry," Riley and Harry said in unison. 

The two shared a smile. There were matching rosy hues on each of their cheeks. 

Luna looked at them knowingly.

"Yes, it was rather horrible. I do feel very sad about it sometimes, but I've got Dad," the Ravenclaw stated.

"That's great Luna, I hope you're happy," Riley put her hand on Luna's shoulder as Luna beamed at her.

"Yeah I am a lot better, also Dad and I both believe you, by the way," Luna stared at Harry, her blue eyes glimmering.

Luna took out a shiny red apple from her handbag.

"That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you fought him... and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you," she looked Harry straight in the eye.

"Thanks. It seems you all are about the only ones that do," Harry looked at the two girls with a sense of appreciation.

"I don't think that's true. But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel," Luna tossed an apple to the baby Thestral.