Chapter 56

The castle was quiet as Harry exited Dumbledore's office. The paintings he passed were empty.

In the shadows, Harry saw Riley, Hermione, and Ron standing together. Riley was awkwardly on the side glancing at her dirt-caked nails while Ron and Hermione's faces were close.

Sensing Harry's presence Hermione turned and faced him.

Instantly Riley ran towards him and wrapped her arms around him which he returned.

"I thought you were hurt," the American clung to him.

"Where've you been?" Hermione scolded.

Harry wasn't listening to her as his lips ghosted Riley's neck. He was never going to see her again. The woman he planned on marrying. The woman he planned on having children with.

"We thought you'd gone to the forest, we thought you might be-" Ron was cut off.

Harry sighed and took his head off of Riley's neck. His messy hair came down his forehead.

He stared at his three favorite people.

"I'm going there now," Harry said.

"Harry, what? No!" Riley's voice cracked.

"Are you mad!" Ron looked angry.

"It's... meant to be," Harry studied Riley who put her head in her hands.

"Rubbish! You can't just give yourself up to him," Ron yelled.

Hermione squeezed his arm silencing him as Riley sniffled and looked up at your boyfriend.

"You know something. What is it?" the blonde asked as tears streamed down her face.

"There's a reason I can... hear them... the Horcruxes," Harry looked between his friends and Riley as Hermione shook her head vigorously.

"I think I've known for a while. I think you've known too," the boy who lived stared at the brunette girl.

She looked miserable.

"I'll go with you," Hermione faltered as a single tear stained her cheek.

Harry wiped the tear away and then hugged his best friend as she was pulled back by Ron.

"Kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him. Then it will be over," Harry told Ron and Hermione. Ron gave him a nod and looked sad.

By now, Riley was full-on sobbing. Harry's heart clenched at the sight of her crying for him.

"Darling come here," Harry gently took her hand and pulled her away to a private room.

"I don't want you to go, Haz. I don't want you to go," Riley pleaded as she grabbed his hand desperately. Her small hands trembled slightly.

"I have to Riley, I have to. I don't want anyone else to die because of me. So many people have already died!" Harry's voice was raised slightly and Riley flinched for a moment as Harry pinched the bridge of his nose.

"We promised we wouldn't break each other's hearts," Riley said in a small voice as she looked at the beautiful flower ring Harry had given her.

He looked at the promise ring and then walked up to her.

"Riley, darling I'm not breaking your heart. I'm done seeing other people's hearts being broken by their friends' and families' deaths. Don't you want that to be done? No one has to get hurt anymore," Harry put his hands on her forearms.

"I wanted to marry you, Harry. I wanted to have children with you. I was so confident about this whole battle and the aftermath. And now you're... you're..." she stuttered as Harry kissed her forehead.