Chapter 26

A few weeks later, Riley, Hazel, and Hermione found themselves in an advanced Potions class with Professor Slughorn. Harry and Ron, having achieved "Exceeds Expectations" on their OWLs, had a free period and decided to entertain themselves by observing the younger students' struggles.

Above them, the trio laughed as they watched the younger children navigate their way through the castle.

"History of Magic is upstairs, ladies, not down. Mr. Davis, Mr. Davis, that is the girls' lavatory," Professor McGonagall scolded a little Ravenclaw student, her green hat perched firmly on her head.

Harry and Ron couldn't help but snort at the scene.

"Potter," McGonagall called out to Harry, prompting him to groan and approach her.

"Oh, this can't be good," he muttered under his breath.

"Are you enjoying yourselves?" McGonagall asked sternly, holding a booklet in her arms.

"I had a free period this morning, Professor," Harry explained to the older woman.

"I noticed. I would think you'd want to fill it with Potions. Or is it no longer your ambition to become an Auror?" McGonagall inquired, her gaze fixed on the Boy Who Lived.

"Well, it was, but I was told I need an Outstanding in my O.W.L. to pursue that path," Harry replied, casting a wistful glance at Ron, who was still making fun of the younger students.

"So you did when Professor Snape was teaching Potions. However, Professor Slughorn is perfectly happy to accept N.E.W.T. students with "Exceeds Expectations"," Professor McGonagall informed him.

"Brilliant. Um... well, I'll head there straight away," Harry said, preparing to leave.

"Oh, good, good. Potter, take Weasley with you. He looks far too happy over there," Professor McGonagall said with a smile.

Harry grabbed Ron's arm and led him toward Slughorn's classroom.

"I don't want to take Potions. Quidditch trials are coming up, and I need to practice!" Ron protested, but Harry ignored him and entered the classroom.

"Attention to detail in preparation is the prerequisite for any successful plan," Slughorn addressed the students.

"Harry, my boy, I've been starting to worry. And you've brought a companion along, I see," the entire class turned their heads to look at Harry and Ron.

Riley waved and gave Harry a small smile. She was sitting with Theo, who glared at Harry with intense anger. His arm was wrapped tightly around her, possessively.

"Oww, Theo, ease up," Riley groaned, shrugging off his arm.

"Sir, I'm Ron Weasley. But I'm dreadful at Potions. A complete disaster, actually. I'm probably just going to—" Ron began, but Slughorn interrupted him by waving his hand.

Lavender sighed dreamily as she looked at Ron.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out," Slughorn reassured them.

"I'm sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron," Harry explained to the professor.

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard. Now as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any idea what these might be? Yes, Miss...?" Slughorn turned to Hermione while Harry and Ron headed to the cupboard to fetch their books.

"Granger, sir," Hermione replied, with Hazel standing next to her, curious about the potions.

In the cupboard, there was a newer-looking book and a ragged ripped book.