Chapter 30

Once Ron and Lavender started dating, the friend group was broken apart and Ron and Hermione weren't on speaking terms.

"I can't help it if she's got her knickers in a twist. What Lav and I have, well, let's just say, there's no stopping it. It's chemical. Will it last? Who knows? Point is I'm a free agent," Ron had told Riley the next day during Potions when they were partners.

"Uh-huh..." Riley raised her eyebrows, acting like she was paying attention to his words while she stirred her potion.

At the moment, Riley sat in the library with Hazel, Hermione, and Harry.

"He's at perfect liberty to kiss whomever he likes. I really couldn't care less," Hermione said angrily as she scoured through bookshelves for a book.

Riley couldn't help but let out a snort of amusement, but quickly suppressed her laughter when Hermione shot her a glare. Harry, noticing the tension, watched with widened eyes, unsure of how to intervene.

"Was I under the impression he and I would be attending Slughorn's Christmas party together? Yes. Now, given the circumstances, I had to make other arrangements," Hermione sighed as she finally pulled out a tattered book.

"Oh you did?" Hazel looked up from her textbook. Her curly hair was tied up in a messy bun and she was wearing her signature black-rimmed glasses.

"Yeah, why?" Hermione asked her.

"Well, I thought that because I wasn't going with George and you with Ron that we'd go together as friends," Hazel said.

"Why didn't I think of that?" Hermione groaned as she hit herself in the head with the old book.

Riley chimed in, flashing a grin at her best friend. "Don't worry, you can join me and Harry."

"No, no, you should go alone with him. I don't want to ruin your evening," Hazel wagged her finger playfully.

"Whatever, you bitch," Riley whispered to Hazel.

"Okay, you bitch," Hazel retorted with a smirk.

Harry, curious about Hermione's plans, asked, "So, who are you going with?"

Hermione's cheeks flushed as she replied, "Um, it's a surprise."

A dark-haired girl with violet eyes attempted to catch a glimpse of the group, particularly Harry.

"Looks like you've got a fangirl behind you," Riley pointed to the girl in a Gryffindor robe.

""That's Romilda Vane. Harry, she's been trying to slip you a love potion," Hermione stated matter-of-factly.

"Really?" Harry glanced back at Romilda, who had her head in her hands, gazing dreamily at the Boy Who Lived.

"Aren't you bothered by this, Riles?" Hazel asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Nope, last year I had the same idea when Harry was dating Cho Chang," Riley smirked, examining her purple-painted nails.

"I—I mean, you—" Harry stammered, flustered, as Riley burst into giggles.

"Just kidding, silly," she reassured him, her laughter filling the air, making Harry's heart clench.

"Anyway, she's only interested in you because she thinks you're the Chosen One," Hermione rolled her eyes, dismissing Romilda's infatuation.

"But I am the Chosen One," Harry smiled cheekily which resulted in Hermione hitting him with her textbook.

"Okay, sorry, um... kidding," he winced.

"You better be because I won't hesitate to get up in that girl's face," Riley cracked her knuckles threateningly.

"Riley, how about you not fight with people. For once, honey," Hazel shook her head slightly.