Chapter 55

The battle raged on and Hogwarts was engulfed in flames.

The courtyard was full of students and staff who fought against the brutal Deatheaters.

A Deatheater stood in the way of Professor Trelawney who raised her wand with a forceful flick that sent him flying through the air.

Seamus regarded her with amazement.

"Who knew Professor Trelawney had moves," he mumbled.

"There's more to me than incense and tea leaves, Mr. Finnegan," the woman offered him a small smile as Seamus' face turned pink at the fact that she had heard his comment.

A few yards away, Dean and a single Deatheater battled while Luna stunned four Deatheaters. Before she could stun the last one, a white blast came from beside her and blasted the Deatheater square in the chest.

Luna turned around and faced Neville who's wand was smoking.

"Thanks," the Ravenclaw smiled.

"Don't mention it," Neville returned with a bright look on his face.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Riley pelted through the courtyard avoiding the large mass of Deatheaters and large gray giants who tried to step on them.

Hermione gasped and paused as she saw Fenrir Greyback crouched over Lavender Brown's motionless body.

The werewolf turned around and grinned wolvishly at them. 

His teeth glistened with Lavender's blood.

Riley's heart pounded in her chest.

Just two seconds ago she remembered consoling Lavender about her failed relationship with Ron and now she was dead.

Riley shut her eyes as she saw the deep gushing red wound in Lavender's neck from where Fenrir had bitten her.

"NO!" Hermione screamed as she blasted him in the chest sending him flying in the air.

The four raced away from the burning castle.

In the distance, the Forbidden Forest had orange and red flames sticking out of it. Screams from the forest shattered the night.

In the Quidditch field, a couple of giants were swinging the Quidditch goals. One saw the four and whipped the golden goal towards them but missed them and instead hit the ground instead. The giant groaned in anger and then lurched away.

The four raced off to the boathouse.

"Wait, wait," Riley panted as her face was red as her lungs burned. Everyone paused. Ron and Hermione also were panting.

"Come, darling," Harry mumbled as he rubbed her back gently.

"How are you not panting! You have magic lungs," Riley wheezed.

"We have to keep going," he coaxed and then kissed her cheek.

Riley sucked in a breath.

"Fine," she mumbled as the four slipped outside of the boathouse. The eerie light illuminated them slightly but they glided back into the shadows. They stopped at a large window.

Voldemort stepped into view inside of the boathouse and extended the Elder wand out. Snape stood beside him in robes of all black.

"Why doesn't it work for me?" Voldemort asked as he circled around the Headmaster of Hogwarts.

"You have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my Lord. In the last few hours alone-" Snape was interrupted by Voldemort's angry outburst.

"No! I am extraordinary! But the wand resists me!" the dark lord hissed.