Chapter 24

During the summer, Riley found herself consumed by grief over the losses of Noah and Amira. The weight of their absence bore heavily upon her heart. She longed for the comforting presence of her other cherished friends.

She also missed Ron, Hermione, and the Weasley twins. Their laughter, companionship, and shared adventures seemed distant memories.

Hazel, too, held a special place in Riley's heart. 

While Hazel spent the entire summer with the Weasley family, Riley remained at home with her parents in Texas. 

Despite the physical distance, they maintained conversation through letters, cherishing the connection that bound them.

Yet, amid her yearning for her dear friends, Riley couldn't deny the overwhelming ache for Harry. 

He had sent multiple letters, even sharing his home address, but she had chosen not to respond. Riley desired to focus her attention solely on her boyfriend, diverting her feelings away from anyone else. 

No matter how hard she tried to get rid of her emotions for Harry, they persisted, a force that could not be extinguished. 

When Riley would mail to her boyfriend he only responded once which was a few days after summer vacation began and he too also gave Riley his house number. She tried calling but no one would ever pick up. She also tried mailing him but he never responded either.

She was confused and slightly hurt.

For the whole summer, Riley spent her time at the community pool with her muggle friends. Her body had matured more and she had gained a lot of attention from boys. In response, she would always flip them off.

In addition to enjoying her time at the pool, Riley found herself going to bars. Though she never drank or smoked, she relished in the joy of dancing. Somehow with the makeup she wore, the bars never asked her for identification.

She had also gotten her driver's license finally. Having turned fifteen almost a year ago, she had finally mastered the art of driving, granting her newfound independence.

During the nights, Riley would often sneak out to meet her muggle friends at movie theaters or parks.

On one particular night, Riley went to the bar alone. Feeling tired from her dancing, she settled down by the bar and politely approached the bartender.

"Hi, could I please have a glass of water?" Riley politely requested the bartender.

The bartender glanced at her, appraising her appearance. Riley adorned herself in a sparkling pink dress that accentuated her curves, paired with matching high heels.

The bartender returned after a moment, handing her a glass of water with a sly wink.

"Enjoy, cupcake," he said with a smirk as Riley chugged the glass.

Suddenly, Riley's vision began to blur, and a splitting headache overwhelmed her senses.

"Fuck, did he spike my water?" Riley muttered to herself, massaging her throbbing temples. Glancing at her watch, she saw it was already two in the morning.

The blonde got out of her seat and stumbled her way through the crowded dance floor, apologizing incoherently to those she bumped into. Finally, she reached the exit and stepped out into the cool night air before finding a telephone booth on the street. 

Feeling the gentle breeze against her face, Riley rummaged through her purse and discovered a piece of paper with two numbers scribbled on it—Theo's and Harry's.