Chapter 41

Over the next few days, many things happened.

The first thing that happened was Snape becoming the new headmaster of Hogwarts. The group heard this from the radio which stated that Snape's curriculum was severe and reflected what Voldemort wanted. In addition, they were adding two Deatheaters to the staff.

The second thing that happened was that while Hermione was searching for mushrooms in the forest she came upon the Snatches from the Ministry. Luckily, the protective spell that Hermione cast made it so that they wouldn't see her or any of the group. 

However, the leader of the Snatchers paused and sniffed the air. Fenrir Greyback, the vicious werewolf also stopped in his tracks.

"What's that? That... smell?" the leader asked.

The other Snatchers glanced about dumbly while Scabior, the leader retraced his steps until he stood directly in front of Hermione with his nostrils flaring.

Hermione sucked in a breath as she gripped the locket that was draped around her neck tightly.

Scabior pulled back with his eyes probing into the darkness as he and the rest of the Snatchers left while dragging bodies behind them.

"Snatchers," a voice said from behind Hermione as she spun around and her eyes locked with Harry who stood next to Riley.

"Good to know your enchantments work," Harry nodded.

"What was he smelling? He was sniffing around like a dog?" Riley questioned staring at Hermione for answers.

"It was my perfume. He could smell it," Hermione said worriedly.

The three sat outside on the ground shivering as Hermione sat close to Harry.

Riley didn't mind because she knew that she liked Ron but little did they know that Ron was watching from the tent with jealousy in his eyes.

"We have to leave. We're not safe here," Harry stated as he wrapped an arm around his girlfriend.

"I told you. Ron's not strong enough to Apparate," Hermione hugged herself.

"Then we'll go by foot," Harry stated as he looked down at Riley's fingers.

She wore that flower ring with pride which made a small smile come to his face as he brought her hand to his lips.

....

The next day, the group woke up early to travel.

The sky was a bright blue that was filled with fluffy clouds that morning. Deatheaters in dark robes fell over them.

The group walked towards a red barn that was full of skeletal remains.

They paused for a few hours resting there on the yellow hay with Riley resting her head on Harry's chest. She felt his heart beat repeatively. It was nice to forget just for a second.

But the moment was over and the group started walking again with Harry and Hermione upfront and Riley and Ron in the back.

The sight of seeing Harry and Hermione walk together made Ron angry and Riley could feel his bad vibes radiating off of him.

"I'm hungry," Ron practically growled which made everyone turn towards him.

"What?" Harry asked.

"I'm hungry," the Weasley looked at the others expectantly.

"Yeah and? We're all hungry, suck it up," Riley rolled her eyes. She had been annoyed with him and his most recent behavior lately and she wasn't having it.