Chapter 18

A few hours later, Ginny Weasley burst into Riley's room in a state of panic. Tears streamed down her face as she muttered that her father had been injured.

Pansy and Millicent groaned in annoyance, burying themselves deeper in their beds, while Riley hastily grabbed a jacket and hurried to Professor Dumbledore's office.

"What happened, Ginny?" Riley asked, concern grazing her features. Her voice was gentle as she tried to soothe her distressed friend, whose pink lips trembled with worry.

"I don't know... Harry had a dream. He said he saw Dad being bitten by a snake. There was blood everywhere," Ginny replied, her voice heavy with sorrow as she cast her gaze downward.

"I'm so sorry," Riley whispered softly, her arm enveloping Ginny in a comforting embrace. She pressed a tender kiss to her friend's forehead.

"Look at me!" Harry's voice resounded, his eyes locked onto Dumbledore, who turned sharply in his direction.

Harry's face glistened with perspiration, his breaths labored and uneven. A collective gasp filled the room as everyone's gaze fixated on the Boy Who Lived, their own shock mirroring his bewildered expression.

Hazel sought solace in George's arms, her trembling form finding warmth as he draped his jacket over her shivering body. Fred stood beside Ginny, offering a reassuring presence with a hand gently placed on her shoulder.

"What is happening to me?" Harry implored, his eyes pleading as they bore into Dumbledore's wise and knowing gaze.

Riley wanted nothing more but to wrap her arms around Harry. To kiss his cheeks and to stroke them comfortingly.

At that moment Severus Snape sauntered into the office.

"You wished to see me, headmaster?" the potions professor asked.

"Oh, Severus. I'm afraid we can't wait. Not even till the morning. Otherwise, we'll all be vulnerable," Dumbledore responded, his tone filled with urgency.

Snape swiftly escorted Harry out of the room, leaving everyone in Dumbledore's office shivering with cold.

"Are your legs cold?" Ron gestured towards Riley, who was wearing shorts.

"Yeah, but I'll manage," Riley mustered a brave smile, despite the goosebumps forming on her legs and the hairs standing on end.

"Riley, you're the only one in shorts," Amira remarked, motioning towards Hermione and Ginny, who were clad in pajama pants.

Ron removed his maroon sweatshirt and draped it over Riley's legs.

Noah took a seat beside her.

"Hey, do you want my sweatshirt too?" he offered, concern etched on his face. Riley trembled slightly, prompting Noah to frown and take off his Nike hoodie, placing it over her. The oversized garment engulfed her smaller frame.

He gently placed the hoodie over her head, ensuring she felt warm and protected.

"You can all go back to sleep, alright? Your father will be fine. He's receiving treatment at St. Mungo's," Dumbledore assured the Weasley family, waving them off.

With heavy hearts, the group rose from their seats and exited the headmaster's office.

"Do you want me to walk you to the Slytherin common room?" Noah asked, offering support as Amira departed to the Hufflepuff dorms.

"I'll be alright," Riley yawned, pinching his cheek playfully.

"Goodnight, Riley," he waved, watching her stumble towards the Slytherin common room.