Chapter 25

The following day, everyone returned to Hogwarts. Riley boarded the Hogwarts Express alongside Ginny and her new boyfriend, Dean Thomas, who was incredibly kind. As they made their way through the train, they encountered Luna Lovegood distributing newspapers.

"Quibbler! Quibbler," Luna called out to passing students, who largely ignored her.

Ginny and Riley paused when they spotted Luna.

"He's lovely. They've been known to sing on Boxing Day, you know?" Luna pointed at Ginny's new pink pet—a pygmy puff she had obtained from Fred and George's shop.

"Quibbler?" Luna inquired.

"Yeah, thanks," Riley replied, accepting the magazine and examining its pale pink and blue cover.

"Oh, please. What's a Wrackspurt?" Ginny politely asked, her face displaying confusion as she skimmed through the magazine.

"Invisible creatures. They flow into your ears and make your brain go fuzzy. Quibbler!" Luna explained as a few students walked past.

"I'll catch up with you both later. Try not to have too much fun in your compartment," Riley winked at them.

Ginny playfully slapped her while Dean struggled to suppress his laughter.

"And you too, with Theo," the redhead retorted, smirking as she raised her eyebrows at Theodore Nott.

Riley noticed Theodore Nott's curly head disappearing into the Slytherin compartment of the train.

As she entered her own compartment, she found Draco, Pansy, and Blaise squeezed on one side, with Millicent, Theo, and Daphne seated across from them.

"Hey, everyone!" Riley greeted them enthusiastically.

"Riley! Good to see you," Blaise responded amiably, shaking her hand.

"Theo, I've missed you so much this summer!" Riley exclaimed, leaning in for a hug. Theo responded with an awkward pat on her back.

"Where have you been? I've been sending you letters and trying to reach you all summer, but you haven't responded once," Riley voiced her concern, causing the other Slytherins in the compartment to avert their gazes.

"I-" Theo began to respond but was interrupted by Daphne.

"Really? That's really weird because Theo would always call me every day. He'd also mail to me too," Daphne batted her eyelashes innocently. Her brown eyes were sadistic.

Suddenly the compartment door swung open and no one came in which made Riley's strong face falter and break into confusion.

Riley's cheeks flamed out of embarrassment. 

"And remember that time we all went to your house, Theo? It was so much fun. Were you invited, Riley?" Daphne inquired, tilting her head to the side.

Pansy winced, and Draco's face remained expressionless. Theo fell silent, his guilty expression fixated on the distance.

"Oh, and do you recall when we went to the carnival? It was an absolute blast. What did you say you were up to this summer, sweetie?" Daphne probed the American with a condescending tone.

Riley had an intense urge to slap that insufferable girl into oblivion.

"That's enough, Daphne," Millicent sneered at the blonde Slytherin, who responded with an evil smile.

"Yeah, enough," Theo defended his girlfriend.

"We'll talk later, Theo," Riley said in frustration, running a hand through her long hair, and then abruptly left the compartment.