Chapter 13: Tanagar Canyon

"This bridge looks unstable" Link said to Zelda "I'll get off Epona and check it"

"I'll come with"

Link and Zelda got off Epona, and left their stuff on Epona.

They got onto the Tabantha Great Bridge.

"Unstable" Zelda said "We can't cross. We'll have to figure out some other way past Tanagar Canyon"

"Yeah" Link agreed

The Bridge suddenly began to shake, and the giant structure fell apart, causing Link and Zelda to fall into the vast canyon to their doom.

"NOOOO!" Zelda screamed as she fell "It can't end like this! I haven't finished writing A Hero's Guide to Hyrule!"

"What's that?" Link asked as they were still falling

"A Book I started writing!" Zelda explained "I documented some ancient history I've learned and the known facts about the Royal Massacre, and that's it. But I've used a special rune in the Sheikah Slate Dr. Purah added to keep track of everything we learn about Hyrule on this adventure! When this is all over, we'll have the ultimate guide for anybody who wants to learn about Hyrule!"

"Neat!" Link said "Too bad we're done for!"

Link and Zelda landed on a trampoline.

"Lucky" Zelda chuckled as they walked away from the trampoline "But now we're stuck in this canyon, while Epona and our supplies are way up there!"

"What do we do?" Link asked

"I'm not sure" Navi replied "We could climb out"

"No" Link said "I don't have the stamina to climb that far up"

"We best keep following the canyon north then" Zelda suggested "We'll eventually reach the coast with the Argia Sea and the border with the Argian Empire, and then find a way back up"

"I hope so" Link sighed

The pair stumbled forward through the deserted rocky canyon, where Wasteland Wolves howled in hunger and dried out Stalizalfos cripped in the rocky dirt.

"Let's the Sheikah Slate" Zelda suggested "Let's see, Writing Rune, Cryonis Rune, Blank Map, Blank Camera Album. Nothing to help us out of here"

"I give up!" Link kneeled on the ground in despair "I should never have left home!"

"You'd be monster chow if you stayed there any longer" Zelda reminded Link

Zelda grabbed Link's hand, and pulled him up off the ground

"Let's keep going" Zelda said "Impa always says don't give up!"

"Sounds like something Aryll would say..."

"Aryll?" Zelda asked

"My little sister" Link explained "Left her with some survivors from Ordon in Gatepost Town"

"She must miss you" Zelda said "But I guess life is hard now days"

"My mother died in childbirth and I didn't ever have a father" Link said

"My parents were both killed in the Royal Massacre, as far as I know" Zelda replied "Impa says she opened the doors to find a bloodstained scene with mangled Royal Guards, dead monarchs, and the Hylian Champion Link was found- -er- maybe I shouldn't describe it"

"No wonder the Hero's Spirit seemed so down" Link said "He was basically an armored skeleton covered in weeds"

"And he had to experience the feeling of failing everyone he loved and cared about" Zelda agreed "I feel bad for the guy, but at least he still lives through you"

"Yup" Link said "I'm a new him, if that makes sense"

A Maraudo Wolf began howling at Link and Zelda, signaling the rest of its wolf pack to attack.

"Uh oh" Link got chills down his back "Uncle used to tell me stories of what happens to lost travelers and packs of wolves..."

"Why do I get the feeling..." Zelda began "That we should RUN!"

Zelda and Link dashed forward and ran as fast as they could.

Five Maraudo Wolves were chasing them now, and they were gaining on them.

Gotta do something... Link thought

"They're catching up to us!" Zelda yelped "We're not gonna make it!"

"I have an idea!" Link shouted, and he got out his bow and fired some arrows

The moment one arrow hit a wolf, it ran away along with the rest of the pack.

"According to Uncle's stories" Link explained "Wolf packs will retreat if one wolf is damaged once"

"Interesting" Zelda replied "The world is such an interesting place, full of things to learn"

"Look at that structure up there!" Link pointed to a grand wall that seemed to be in their way

"It looks like some kind of ancient ruins!" Zelda said "We have to explore!"

"Okay...." Link sighed, and they entered the ruins

"I think this place is called the Forgotten Temple!" Zelda said

Inside the ruins was a vast hall, where several dismantled Decayed Guardians were lying around

"Oh, old sheikah robots that no longer work" Zelda told Link "Not a threat from them"

Immediately, several dozen Decayed Guardians were activated as purple malice sprung from them, and they lit up purple

"They're supposed to be orange, not purple" Zelda worried "And they should be broken!"

The corrupted Guardians aimed at Link and Zelda and began firing lasers

"RUN!" Link shouted

Zelda and Link dashed out of the Forgotten Temple, and the Guardians' legs had been dismantled so they were stationary and unable to pursue the heroes.

Not doing THAT Again Link thought as he sighed in relief